Double Slider Valentine Card with SU! Darling Donkeys


When I saw this style of interactive card, I wanted to recreate it immediately!  So I actually made this for my hubby today while he was doing the grocery shopping!  HA!  (He does take a while.)  Anywho... I will say that it did take me 3 tries to get the mechanism just right, so I wouldn't call this a beginner's card, maybe intermediate.  I'll explain a li'l bit later on.  

Here is the card closed.  I didn't realize until I took pictures of the card that I kinda got the window and shutters a bit crooked 🙅  But... gives it character right?! (it's actually driving me a bit crazy!  But dimensionals are hard to get back off, ever notice that?!!)   My hubby played with this card for a good several minutes, so, I think he really did like it, which made it all worth it.



I followed instructions by Nadja Hoffmann here. She translated the instructions for us in a FB group, and I adjusted some of the measurements, so I will take you through what I did to recreate this....

*Updated - video tutorial is done and will be available tomorrow! 


MEASUREMENTS:

Base Card Layer = cut at 12" x 5 1/2" and scored at 3 3/4", 7 5/8", 11 1/2"
Mat on front of card = 5 1/4" x 3 5/8"
DSP on front of card = 5" x 3 3/8"
Slider panels colored mat = 5 1/8" x 3 3/8" (x2)
Slider panels white cardstock = 4 7/8" x 3 1/8" (x2)
1" Circle (for pull tab)
White cardstock for back of card to write message =  5 1/4" x 3 5/8"

  • Cut a piece of base layer cardstock to 12" x 5 1/2" and score along the long side at 3 3/4", 7 5/8" and 11 1/2"
  • Lay your open card in front of you vertically with the small flap furthest away from you.  Using the "Classic Label" punch (I used the Word Window punch), punch half a label in the middle on the right and left of the 1st section closest to you.
  • Next I used a plastic sandwich baggy with seams cut.  With bag folded in half, I measured the flat space between my punched label and cut the strip of baggy that width.  I used a ruler and straight-edge.  Then I wrapped it around the 1st section between the recessed areas (where you punched with label on each side) and use strong tape to stick overlapped ends of bag together.  Cut off excess bag strip.  *Do not tape the bag to the cardstock and don't pull it too tightly before taping.  You want it to move around the recess easily! 
  • Cut 2 pieces of cardstock (same color as your base) at 5 1/8" x 3 3/8"
  • Cut 2 pieces of white cardstock at 4 7/8" x 3 1/8" and decorate how you'd like.  These are the side pieces that pull out.  Tape/glue decorated pieces to their mats. 
  • With a coordinating color, punch out a 1" circle.  Score it in half and tape it to the right side of the panel that will be on the right side of card when pulled out.  Punch a hole, add an eyelet and run ribbon through the eyelet.
  • Now to attach the 2 slider panels to the base. Start with the panel that you want on the left side.  With your card base in front of you vertically with the small flap furthest away, put a strip of tear-n-tape on the RIGHT side only on the baggy (or whatever material you used for your band) 
  • Pick up the stamped and matted panel (that will be on the left side of card when pulled out), and hold it with the image facing you.  Place it FACE DOWN (top of the panel closest to you), making sure that it is centered between the label cut-outs. 
  • Fold the card up once.
  • Now continue with the right side.  Put another strip of tear-n-tape on the far LEFT side of baggy.
  • Now pick up your stamped panel that will be on the right side and this time lay it down FACE UP so you can see the designed side. Rub over where the tape was to secure it well.
  • Add a magnet to the left side of the right panel.
  • Cut a piece of cardstock for the front of your card to 5 1/4" x 3 5/8"
  • Cut a piece of dsp at 5" x 3 3/8" and layer and tape it to your mat.
  • Locate the FRONT of your card.  The front is the section that has the scored flap on the edge.  Tape/glue your front panel to the front of your card.  
  • Align your 1" circle punch in the middle of the right side (of front of card) and punch out a semi-circle, going through the 3 layers (dsp, mat, and front of card base)  This will leave room for the pulling mechanism
  • Add tear-n-tape (or other strong adhesive) to the small Flap and stick it on the inside 
  • Adhere a piece of white cardstock for the back (to write message on)  3 5/8" x 5 1/4".
  • Decorate the front of your card.  Once you decide what you'd like to have "floating" across the front, add a magnet on the backside and place it on the card where the magnets connect.
  • Try it out!  :)  How cool is that?!!  

Thanks for stopping by! Have a CRAFTastic day!!