4-Panel Accordion Card for Mom

 Hello, thanks for stopping by my blog today!  My mom is a crafter too, so I wanted to create something extra special for her for Mother's Day this weekend.  I saw this card and was so impressed that I gave it a go.  Mom's favorite color is blue, and this was what I had in designer papers in blues, so I went with it.☺


here's a view from the top...


and here are some closer-up pics of the panels...



I will say that this style can be made with so many different dies, and so the measurements are going to vary depending on which dies you use!  SO... this one was a doozy for me to figure out measurements for the frames as I did not used dies to cut out my rectangle frames (only the inside accordion pieces).  

I did take some pictures along the way to do a tutorial with the measurements I used. Oh Boy!!  This took me over 6 hours to make.  Below are the measurements I used in case you want to use these same "Ornate Layers" dies.


• I created (4) regular frames (see pic 1) 
Using grid paper, I drew lines in pencil to create a template that I then cut out.
- drew my outside rectangle measuring 6 1/4" tall x 4 3/4" wide
• I created a 5/8" frame all around by doing the following....
 drew pencil marks at these coordinates:
 - 5/8" from the left edge and 5/8" up / mark
- 5/8" from left edge and 5 5/8" up / mark
- 4 1/8" from left edge and 5/8" up / mark
- 4 1/8" from left edge and 5 5/8" up / mark
• I used my paper trimmer to cut the outside rectangle and cut between all 4 marks on inside.
- - -
• Next I create (4) frames with a 1" border in the MIDDLE of the frame (see pic 1)
• repeat the same marking process as the first frame style for the 2 VERTICAL lines
• Next we need to add the markings for the 1" border down the middle of this frame, so also mark the following coordinates:
- 1 7/8" from bottom left edge and 5/8" up / mark
- 1 7/8" from bottom left edge and 5 5/8" up / mark
- 2 7/8" from bottom left edge and 5/8" up / mark
- 2 7/8" from bottom edge edge and 5 5/8" up / mark
• Connect the 2 vertical sections with pencil
• Cut out both of the 1 1/4" sections (see pic 1)


OPTIONAL:
IF you want to add designer paper frames on top of the 4 regular frames...

- (Need 4) drew my outside rectangles measuring 6" tall x 4 1/2" wide
• I created a 3/8" frame around all sides of this rectangle by doing the following...
drew pencil marks at these coordinates:
 - 3/8" from bottom left corner and 3/8" up / mark
- 3/8" from bottom left corner and 5 5/8" up / mark
- 4 1/8" from bottom left corner and 3/8" up / mark
- 4 1/8" from bottom left corner and 5 5/8" up / mark
- connect the lines between the marks and used paper trimmer to cut on lines



• Next I cut (3) strips of your base card color that are 6 1/4" x 1" and scored in half vertically.   These are the hinges holding my frames with the 1" section in the middle together.

***TIP:  I think it's best to use the regular weight cardstock for the hinges as you don't want them too bulky as they will be folding in half. 

(the next pic shows 4 white strips, but I only needed 3)

• Next, I needed 8 die cuts for the inside accordion pieces (I used Ornate Layers dies) 
- cut out (4) out of my base color cardstock (white) 
- cut (4) more of the same die cuts in a patterned paper


• Next, I used Tear n' Tape on ONE half of the white strips and adhered the frames (that have the middle section) together so that they are mountain and valley (accordion) folded.  

• Attached the 4 open frames on top of the frames that are showing the hinges in order to HIDE the hinges.

• Glued the designer paper frames to the tops of the base frames

To finish the card, continue with step #6 at Castlepark Designs


 ♥ ♥ ♥

Stamps used: (SU!) - Berry Blessings, Welcoming Window, Pretty Perennials. (Paper Pumpkin) - Beary Comforting

Dies & Punches: (SU!) - Pretty Perennials dies, Ornate Layers dies, Stitched Rectangles dies, Welcoming Window dies, medium daisy punch

Paper: (SU!) - Berry Delightful dsp (retired); Thick Basic White; Granny Apple Green

Ink & Extras: (SU!) - Pacific Point, Blamy Blue, Granny Apple Green Classic Inks; (Copic) - alcohol markers; (SU!) Paper Trimmer, Tear n' Tape, Grid Paper; (Scotch) - ATG tape


Thanks for looking ~ Happy Inking :)