Sunday, November 25, 2012

SSiC's Last Challenge - Peace & Joy

Good morning and a blessed Sunday to you!!  It is with mixed emotions that I bring you Stampin' Sisters in Christ's final challenge.  (You can read about that on our challenge blog)

The Scripture I chose for this week is Matthew 2:10-11,

"They rejoiced with exceedingly great joy.  And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshiped Him.  And... presented gifts to Him."

And the challenge is to create a Christmas Card.  I'd love to see cards made that represent the true meaning of Christmas, but you may enter anything Christmas related.

Our sponsor is Doodle Pantry who is donating 3 digi sets of winner's choice.  I've used a FREE Doodle Pantry sentiment that you can find on the store site here.  I've also used a Jesus stamp from Our Daily Bread Designs and the designer paper is one I created for Daydream Designs from the Deck the Halls pack.

I love Christmas and I look forward to it months in advance... oftentimes humming or singing Christmas diddies in the middle of summer.  As I was Googling Christmas templates for our challenge blog, I landed on this one because it brought back a very funny memory of a past Christmas.  My girls must've been about 3 and 4 yrs. old and they wanted to wrap up a present for daddy under the tree.  So they found a doll that squeaked and wrapped it the best they could.  I thought it was so sweet that they were willing to give up (for a few days) something they enjoyed playing with in order to give their daddy some joy at Christmas.  Christmas morning came and the girls were so excited, they gave their dad his gift and when he opened it, they giggled like crazy!!   I was surprised by all their giggling about it, but so tickled that they "pulled one over" on daddy ... forever engraved in my memory.


I have to admit that these past few years as our girls have gotten older, Christmas is full of mixed emotions as the amount of activities fill our calendar and the stress of choosing just the right gifts for everyone and finding time to go buy those gifts gets tougher!  Sometimes the hustle and bustle of the holidays can steal our joy, and before we know it, the season flies by w/out really taking time to focus on the reason we celebrate it to begin with.

This months' "Turning Points" Free Magazine and devotional (by Dr. David Jeremiah, Pastor) is titled "5 Things to do this Christmas."  Each of the 5 articles touch on different dimensions of Christmas:  joy, the home, generosity to others, a reminder of the true Reason for the season, and worship.  For instance, he suggests that we all choose a JOY verse for the season!  "This Christmas, the joy of the Lord is my strength (Nehemiah 8:10)", or how about "This Christmas I will offer sacrifices of joy in His tabernacle." (Psalm 27:6)  There are tons of joy verses in the Bible... plan to be joyful and give joy this holiday season. He also touches on those who have a hard time during the holidays.  Maybe a loved one passed away around Christmas time, or you have other unpleasant memories of Christmases past.  He shares some very insightful ways to handle the memories and refocus.  This li'l magazine/devotional is chock full of wonderful and helpful tidbits to help us get through the holidays with a heart full of joy and and attitude of thanksgiving and cheer.  We can ask ourselves, "How can I better follow the Lord?  How can I better let Christ be Lord of all my life today?  Like the Magi, we can follow His light wherever it leads."   So during the holidays when so much competes for our attention, let's turn our eyes to the top of our tree ~ the "Bright and Morning Star" (Rev. 22:16) so that we too can "rejoice with exceedingly great joy" this Christmas.

I know I said this on our challenge blog, but I also want to say it again here.... my sincere thanks goes to Peggysue, our wonderful sponsor coordinator, to Miesje our awesome Awards Coordinator, to ALL of my design sisters, and of course also to all our wonderful players!!  I hope you'll join us this final week's challenge by making a Christmas card!

Blessings for a Wonder-ful Advent/Christmas season!

15 comments:

Lovely Linda said...

Dear Kris - what a wonderful inspiration you are. Your card is adorable and yoour devotional perfect! Thank you for all you have done leading the SSIC - this Team has been such a blessng. What a blessing it has been to be part of the Stampin' Sisters in Christ Team with you - thank you for the love and support you give so freely and the wonderful gift of prayer. I am grateful that our friendships have eternal value! God bless you! {{{hugs}}}

Lorie said...

First, your card is amazing as always! I'm so proud of you for making the tough decisions over the last couple of months. You are an amazing wife and mom and it is right to keep your priorities where they are. HUGS!

Miesje said...

Throwing lots of blessings your way dear friend. I love that picture of the girls and your husband - I too have such fond memories from when our children were little. Time marches on and all of our children are grown and gone - the next chapter is special too though. You have been a blessing in my life - it has been and is a incredibly special to me. God Bless you and your family. Peace....

Diane said...

Kris, your card is amazing...so vibrant and elegant. But even more, the words of your devotion certainly touch my heart deeply. I can't even begin to express what a blessing you are to me. I've so loved being on the DT for you and SSIC--what a joy and privilege! And oh, my...all that you do for Daydream Designs just overwhelms me and I'm so very, very grateful for you. Yet beyond these things, you bless me with your friendship. I love your heart, your passion for the Lord and your dedication to your family. I'm overjoyed that we don't have to say goodbye!

theneon said...

Kris your beautiful card and written piece for this challenge are a wonderful testimony and inspiration. I will miss SSIC's challenges -- especially so since I had taken a hiatus from stamping and have just returned to the "fold." This being said, I can completely understand the decision because just as a participant I have found it to be quite a commitment of time. In yours and the design team's positions, I cannot imagine the time and efforts required to maintain a challenge site. You have all done it beautifully and with so much dedication -- I feel like you are all my friends -- Thanks so much!

Debbie said...

This card is beautiful!! Your devotional was wonderful, too!! Without Christ, there is no CHRISTmas!!
I'm sad to see the end of SSIC but glad to be connected with DD!

Traci M said...

Dear Kris,
Thanks so very much for allowing me to be a part of the SSiC design team...all of the women have encircled me with love and friendship and I have been so blessed to spend each week meditating on our verse and spending time with the Lord. I have loved this group and though I am sad it is ending (for now)...I hope we do stay connected and continue in our prayers. I got tickled with your story and your card is gorgeous!! Blessings, Traci

Judy said...

Hi Kris,

Your card is just beautiful, and the devotion is so heart warming. I was so sad to hear of SSIC closing, but I do understand as I had to make the same kind of decision when closing DDS. My prayers and best wishes and hopes go out to you.

xo
Judy

Leanne ... said...

Your card is just lovely for Christmas Kris. Loved the story about your two girls and daddy at Christmas. LOL!

So sorry to hear about SSIC news.
Blessings...Leanne

Kathy W. said...

Oh this is beautiful! And I love the makeover on SSIC!!

Now it's my turn..hehe

Glimpses of My Heart said...

Kris - This is such a beautiful card. That DP is so eye-catching. I'll need to go look in the shop for that set. Thank you so much for the opportunity to be on my first DT. All of you ladies have been a real blessing to me and I have appreciated praying for you and knowing you were praying for me as well. Many many blessings to you and your family.
Michelle

Glenda Atkins said...

Beautiful Christmas card, love how you imposed the words over the image, makes the sentiment even more meaningful. Sorry that Stampin Sisters in Christ is closing but totally understandable.
best wishes
Glenda

MaxineD said...

Thank you for this wonderful blog and the fabulous weekly devotions that have been here so faithfully - I will miss them :-(.
Your card is a beautiful mix of the true spirit of Christmas and the 'holly and berries' that are so often seen on cards.
Blessings
Maxine

Carole Robb Bisson said...

Kris, sometimes it takes me a minute to fully realise what is happening. As I read each line, my original thought of just until the New year was soon squashed.
Your card is such a picture of the real meaning of this season. May I put it into my ideas folder so I can gaze upon it when my joy needs to be filled. God Bless you all. Carole

Kelly L said...

Such a lovely Christmas card, Kris, and I love the story about the girls getting one over on Daddy. So sorry to hear that SSiC will not be continuing the challenges, but I totally understand. Life has totally gotten so busy here too that I rarely have time to sit down and stamp, but when I do I SO enjoy it! :) Blessings to you all that the rest of this year is filled with joy and love of family and friends you hold dear. Enjoy the simple things and let go of the stress, my friend! Hugs, Kel xoxo