Sunday, September 16, 2012

SSiC #157 Reap a Harvest

"Let us not become weary in doing good for at the proper time we will reap
a harvest if we do not give up.”  Galatians 6:9
 
Hi and happy Sunday! It's my turn to host this week's challenge at Stampin' Sisters in Christ  
and so my challenge (based on the above Scripture) is…
 
 Create a Harvest card or Fall/Autumn project

My girls and I had a fun day with the Cricut and a svg set called Caramel Apple Pie
Carly created the card, Maddy made the caramel apple basket, and I made the crate.
 
(The best part.... we made caramel apples and rolled 'em in toppings like peanuts and sprinkles)
YUMM!
 
Maddy's Caramel Apple Basket

Carly's card
and here's my crate

I went on vacation last month to the Oregon Coast with anticipation and excitement as the memories flooded my mind from our perfect vacation last summer at the same spot. I thoroughly enjoyed finding shells with my girls, the roar of the ocean, the beautiful sunsets… despite the fact that it looked nothing like it did last year. Winter tides had come up and destroyed parts of the bank and there were fallen trees and limbs scattered about. The once easy pathway onto the beach was now a very steep drop off with just some unsturdy logs put in place to step onto. I didn’t care about all that the first couple of days. I was basking in the beauty of nature and spending quality time with my family. But by the end of the week, the sunset wasn’t quite as awe-inspiring... the seaweed scattered sand became annoying... and the overcast skies definitely snuffed out the joy I felt a few days prior... I was ready to go home.

People certainly have a great propensity to tire of good things. Kids get tired of their Christmas toys, millionaires get tired of money, and Christians get tired of doing good things (teaching the women’s Bible study, leading that Sunday School class, working with the food bag ministry, directing the choir or worship team, etc.). We grow tired of all the work and wonder if it’s worth it... or we simply lose heart for those things that we once started with gusto!

Galatians 6:9 “Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary”  This verse certainly doesn’t mean that we can’t stopdoing one thing and do another. I think it’s referring to living a godly life in general. .. loving people and doing  those things that will grow the kingdom of God and reap a Spiritual reward. In the Gospels Jesus Christ Himself spoke to a crowd of His followers saying, “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest” (Matt. 11:28).

There are many verses in Scripture about being weary, burdens and casting our cares on Him.  And in them Jesus promises to carry our burdens (Psalm 68:19), strengthen our hearts (Psalm 31:24), provide safety (Psalms 4:8),  sustenance (Psalm 55:22), peace (John 14:27) rest, comfort (2 Corinthians 1:3-4) etc.  We all get weary of the things we fill our days with and circumstances that come into our lives, but let us not become weary of living the "right" life.

I was flipping through a Christian catalog the other day when I came across a beautifully framed poem and so I Googled it and found that this poem was written on the walls of Mother Teresa's home for children in Calcutta...

Do It Anyway

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered.

Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.

Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies.

Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you.   

Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight.

Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous.

Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten.

Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough.

Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God.

It was never between you and them anyway.

I don’t know if Mother Teresa ever tired of doing good, but I know that everything she did, she did with great love.

“I am not sure exactly what heaven will be like, but I know that when we die and it comes time for God to judge us, he will not ask, ‘How many good things have you done in your life?’ rather he will ask, ‘How much love did you put into what you did?” ― Mother Teresa

“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.“ Gal. 6:9-10

I hope you’ll pop over to SSiC and see the rest of the DT’s fabby creations… we even have another FREEBIE for you this week as well!  Come join in the challenge *Ü*
Sep. 20 & Dec. 6 Sponsor, Thank you Korin!!
One player will receive 3 digis of your choice from our awesome sponsor,
Sweet ‘n Sassy Stamps! and 3 will win the Shining Star award and get in the spotlight!

12 comments:

Candace said...

Kris, I love the girls' projects, and your crate is just beautiful!! I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the SSIC blog this morning. It really blessed my heart this morning! Hugs!!

My Heart Pieces Digital Stamp said...

This is just so amazing looking so beautiful.

Traci M said...

kris...your devotional this morning is wonderful...and I especially appreciate you adding the verses at the end of God's provisions for our weariness. I also thought of this quote from Mother Theresa! Love it. I am glad we also share in the encouragement of eac other here on our blog. Your girls have a lot of talent...just like their Mamma! Cutest projects and looks like a mini veggie stand. Blessings on your week!

Diane said...

Kris....all these projects are adorable. What a fun thing for all the girls to do...Carly's card is adorable, the caramel apple project is yummy and your crate is fantastic. Loved your devotional...such a timely, fitting scripture for me to meditate on today. God is good and nothing is coincidence, but I really feasted on your words today. Thank you!

Glimpses of My Heart said...

Kris - Looks like you and your girls had a great time! You made beautiful projects! Love your devotional. Thanks so much for all you do.
Many blessings to you,
Michelle

MaxineD said...

What a fabulous family time you must have had - and what an awesome teaching opportunity as you crafted together!! wonderful results too.
Blessings
Maxine

Glenda Atkins said...

Fabulous harvest project, everything is so well done, just gorgeous to look at!
hugs
glenda

Helen said...

LOVE your projects! What a fun time y'all must have had making them and the carmel apples! This poem reminds me of a song I hear quite often on the country station. It's a beautiful reminder of how much we need to love others the way Christ loved us! Have a blessed week! ~H

Marlou McAlees said...

gorgeous creations Kris!! love the new look blog out fit :) those sweet sweet owls ♥
Loving the poem, beautiful inspiring words x

Leanne ... said...

The crate and basket are just adorable Kris. Nice having quality time with your girls. Love the card too.
Hugs...Leanne

Lovely Linda said...

This is inspiring Kris - on so many levels - love your devotional!! Your projects are gorgeous - you always add so much detail! I hope you have blessed week Sistah! {{{hugs}}}

ScrappySandie said...

Hi Kris! Love your amazing projects! So much gorgeous detail! And your devo this week is wonderful...TFS! I really like the Mohter Teresa poem. Inspiring!
Sandie