Sunday, August 26, 2012

SSiC Isaiah 64:8 - You are the Potter…

KB-clayPitcher“Yet you, LORD, are our Father.
We are the clay, you are the potter;
we are all the work of your hand.” 
Isaiah 64:8

When I was in High School I took a ceramics class.  I remember my first time sitting at the pottery wheel and how hard it was to learn the techniques to not only make the clay stick to the wheel w/out flying off, but to place your fingers in just the right spot to mold the clay into a cylinder as it spins ‘round and ‘round.  It’s an awesome feeling to finally bring up a nicely shaped cylinder… the foundation that can then be shaped and formed into whatever you imagine!  It’s very delicate though… one slight wrong move and the whole thing gets warped out of shape and you have to start over.  The pitcher on the left is my “masterpiece” … my final project for the class that now adorns my mom’s kitchen.  She wanted me to make her an old fashion pitcher and basin (although I didn’t get the basin made).  And while I’m far from being a “master potter,” I was pretty proud of this pitcher… molded and shaped on the wheel… hand-rolled handle, glazed and baked in the hot kiln.
  
So are we… like clay in The Potter’s hands.  When you are a child of God, you are His masterpiece!
Only God can take our sins and throw them as far as the east is from the west.  And when adversity comes, only God “The Potter” can take those imperfections… those things in our past we wish we could undo… the hurts and pain we’ve felt and delt… those things we’ve repented of but we can’t seem to forget and feel shamed of…  only He can work them all together for our good.  He molds them and melds them together to make us into a beautiful “masterpiece.”   Do you see those dark spots on my pitcher left from uneven disbursement of the glaze?  I know lots of crafters who love to sponge and distress to get “character” like that.  And if you think about it… the adversity we face in life adds character to us.  Maybe a “sign of approval” from the The Master Potter?  ☺

The challenge over at Stampin’ Sisters in Christ this week is hosted by my lovely “sister” Diane.  She is challenging us to use PUNCHES – DIES – OR SHAPES on our cards! 
I’ve used 4 different dies (all Spellbinders) and the li’l colorful leaves in the bottom left are brads.  I’ve also used a couple of brand new releases from the new online store, Daydream Designs!  First up is the warm and colorful Fall digi paper pack…. 
Fall-Digi-Paper-Pack-Autumn

The digi stamp I used came from the colored version of the set Bushel and a Peck… perfect for quick and easy crafting…  4 lovely bushels of goodness for variety this Fall. 

It also comes in outline versions for you to color

And last but not least… is the “Fall is in the Air Sentiment Set

Hop on over to our challenge blog to read Diane’s excellent devotional and enter our challenge!  We also have a “mystery sponsor” who is offering a Grab Bag o’ stamps to one random player… it could be YOU!  And 3 players will be chosen as our Shining Stars and showcased on our blog *Ü* 

14 comments:

Lozzapops said...

Hi Kris!! This is a gorgeous card .. so gonna have to check out those papers!! Love the bright colours. Laura x

Diane said...

WOWZERS! Brilliant card in every way. The colors are warm, wonderful and so vibrant...perfect for the dull and very "brown" fall I fear we will have here in the midwest. Gorgeous card, Kris. Can't wait to make something with the whole colorized ensemble!

Miesje said...

Gulp! This is so pretty! We do not get those beautiful leaves here in Florida which is probably why I LOVE making fall cards! This is a stunning card! Great colors by the way! Have a great week!

Traci M said...

This is so bright and vibrant Fall card with your prett Fall papers and cool layout!! And I love your pitcher you made, too! What a great gift for your Mom...thanks so much for your help this week! Wishing you a wonderful blessed week!

Glimpses of My Heart said...

Kris - Such a great card! I may be picking those images for my sets this month! I love the pitcher you made. I'm sure your mom loves it! I've always admired hand thrown pottery but figured I don't need one more hobby ;)
Blessings,
Michelle

MaxineD said...

Kristine this is gorgeous - love the colours and the many die cuts. I also appreciated you thoughts on being shaped :-)
Blessings
Maxine

Amy Johnson said...

Such a pretty card! Love the colors and the digi papers!

Jerusha Borden said...

LOVE this set and this is just a wonderful project. So awesome. Very ,very exciting. I can't wait to use it!! Love your card for this week!

Debbie said...

What a beautiful card!! My list of 'wants' at Daydream Designs is growing!! :)
Beautiful pitcher, too!!

Marlou McAlees said...

absolutely beautiful Kris :) you are soooo talented, love your creations :) x

Vicki said...

Such a beautiful post Kris. Love the pitcher story. Your card is just gorgeous with all those fall colors. I have that bushel set and plan on using it soon.

Helen said...

So beautiful! You're making me long for fall with all the beautiful colors! Your words are very encouraging. Thanks for sharing! I love all these new releases, too! They're so fun! Hope you're having a blessed week! ~H

ScrappySandie said...

Wow, Kris! Your card is so bright and beautiful! Your coloring of the apple bushel is just awesome! And the digi papers too...love 'em!
Hope you and your family have a reat weekend!
Sandie

Peggysue Turner said...

So pretty, what a great Fall card! I am going to be looking into just how I use those digi papers, that is a set I would like to have for sure! And I took a pottery class in college too, it is tough to get that clay to cooperate! :)