Sunday, May 20, 2012

SSiC - Sweet Magnolia Birthday

Good morning, and another blessed Sunday to you!  Today starts another fun challenge at Stampin’ Sisters in Christ challenges and our hostess this week is the very sweet and talented Traci Major.
 
The Scripture for this week is Ephesians 4:29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." 

The challenge is so fitting…. Build up your card: by adding layers, paper tole, paper piecing, stacking flowers...you name it!!

I was a Puppet Team Director for Jr. & Sr. Highers at church for a few years and I remember writing this verse out in big letters on poster board as a reminder to them  not to tear each other down, but speak only encouraging words.  That is quite a challenge with this particular age group, and since I had a set of brothers on my team, it was necessary.  But this verse is applicable no matter what age group we are.  Words spoken behind people’s backs or even being outright negative in a group can be so damaging to relationships and can put road blocks up for the Holy Spirit to lead and bless.  In fact… wouldn’t it be great to have this verse displayed in our own homes as well.  I’m sure Traci has a wonderful devotional to share on this verse so be sure to hop over and read!!


I’ve “built up” my card by layering my flowers on the front, and I’ve pop dotted the fence, grass and Tilda inside.  The paper is from the Echo Park “This & That” 6x6 pad.  We took my MIL out for her 86th birthday dinner last night and I gave this card to her.  I thought the cute li’l Magnolia with bike might make her feel young.  *Ü*
 
Here’s the inside…
I saw this card of Pam Sparks’ quite some time ago and saved it to my “fave” file for a CASE sometime.  I’ve got quite a huge “fave” file now so it’s taken me a year to get to this one. 
Hope you come join our challenge at SSiC this week!!  Our sponsor is Tami Mayberry who is offering one of our players this stamp set,
Masculine Tags
For more inspiration, check out what my Design Sisters created this week!
 
Candace Pierce Candace
Diane Noble Diane
Helen Phelps 
Helen
Jerusha Borden 
Jerusha 
Linda Lucas Linda
Marilynn DeGroot Marilynn
Michelle Coon Michelle
Miesje Flach Miesje
Peggysue Turner  Peggysue
SandieLbw2 
Sandie
Traci Major Traci
 

I’m also linking this post to…

Word Art Wednesday – use words of encouragement or a Scripture on your card

Scripture Sunday Link Up #2 – include a Scripture in your post

Card Makin’ Mamas #45:  May Flowers


******************************************************************************************************
EDITED TO ADD: 
 
PHOTOGRAPHING MY CARDS
We've had some discussion in our group about picture taking, so thought I'd share how I take photos of my pics. First of all, I took Laura Campbell's advice (owner of Layers of Color) when I was a DT for her, and I have used this method for the last couple years!


I bought a folding table from Costco and have it set up all the time in my craft room.  I bought 2 "natural daylight lamps" (can't remember where from though--online) which uses Full spectrum daylight "flourescent" bulbs.  I had some photo drapes (white, blue, black) from a photo box I had tried and didn't like.  Plus, the lamps broke shortly after I got em, so I use the white drape from that, taping the top to the wall and letting the bottom part drape over the table.  I turn OFF my overhead room light and just turn on my lamps.

My card in this photo looks very washed out, but I assure you, that's just because I'm so far back. I use a Canon Power Shot A590IS camera and I always put the setting on "close up" (the flower icon).  I also use the FREE photo editing program which Blogger uses to store our photos when we upload to our blogs, Picasa.  The “auto fix” feature works wonders!! 

The replacement bulbs cost $9.95 + shipping at replacementbulbs.com 
The specs are:  FE-US-30W and it's 5000k
Longstar FE-US-30W/50 5000K
That website above is very fast and helpful.  I’m sure if you want to go this route, they can help you out with what lamps to put these bulbs in.  *Ü*  Happy Crafting & photographing!

22 comments:

Jacq said...

Hi Kris,
Oh WOW this is simply Stunning!!! I'm sure your MIL just loved this Gorgeous card. Love the sweet Tilda image, the dp's, the colour scheme is just scrumptious. Love the layout and those flowers look fabulous. Coloured to perfection as always. Hope you and the family are all well and having a lovely weekend.
Hugs Jacq xxx

Becky said...

Kristine, this is just AWESOME! I love how you built a scene on the inside.

Lorie said...

That is a stunner Kris! Just beautiful!

Wendy said...

Fantastic cards - love the fence - it's beautiful and finishes the card off a treat. You have such a talent for card making and love what you shared re: how you take your photos... they always look so professional and clear - not the mention perfect colour balance. I would luuuuuuuuuuuv a Canon camera! Hubby wanted to buy me one recently but we need so many things for the house first... maybe next year (DV).

Thank you for joining me at Scripture Sunday - it really encouraged me to see your link up. Hope you will join me again.

Have a braw week
Wendy @ ECTaS!

Diane said...

Oh, my goodness! Kris, your card is jaw-dropping gorgeous! LOVE all the detail and talk about layers, girlfriend...out of the ballpark! Fabulous colors...amazing coloring, and VERY professional looking photography! :) Love everything about your project. Have an amazing week, sister!

Kelly L said...

Beautiful card, I love the layers, and thanks so much for the tips about how to take photos of your cards. I have been thinking about buying a photo cube for some time now.

Peggysuez said...

This card s amazing! Still in awe of your jaw-dropping coloring skills! And that paper is gorgeous and all the detail is wonderful. I will have to look into that table and lamps idea for photography. If I don't have a sunny day I'm sunk!

Glenda Atkins said...

Kristine, you are always so informative. This information is great as taking the picture is often the most odious part of the whole card thing. I keep experimenting and am always open to new ways to take a picture. Thanks!

Glenda Atkins said...

Oh my , I forgot to tell how gorgeous your card is, I especially love your flowers - wow!

ScrappySandie said...

Hi Kris! I love everything about your card...was going to list what I like best but its EVERYTHING! I just might have to "copy" this one! And thanks so much for the info on lighting and photographing our cards! SO helpful!
Have a wonderful week!
Sandie

Sharon Roselli said...

Beautiful card!

Leanne ... said...

No wonder your cards always look so nice & crisp and clear. Plus your camera does a great job. Nice job. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs...Leanne

Gemiel said...

Wow this is fantastic!!! Love all the dimension and the scene you created in the card. Thanks for linking up to Word Art Wednesday this week!

Jerusha said...

Amazing! I love this, this is just he sweetest little card. Love the colours! Thank you for your photo taking tips, I will have to try that some day! xo

Lozzapops said...

This is gorgeous Kris! Thanks for joining us at CMM! Laura x

MariLynn said...

Kris, this is a beautiful card. I just love the flowers on the dp that you used. The little layered flowers look amazing!!!Hope you are having a blessed week!!!

Traci M said...

I am in love with this card...funny I thought about Tilda with my own challenge, then was too intimidated of the time she takes to color!! Your scene is fab-o and makes me want to try one!! Thanks for the photography tips...I now have a place to go to for help!! May you have a blessed week, friend!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wow- this is an amazing scene- love this great card! I love the stitching and the cut out circle allowing the image to show through.

Lovely Linda said...

This is beautiful Kris - your details are always perfect and your colouring amazing! The stitching is a great touch too! I always use the same technique for photos - gotta love Laura and her technique!! Thansk for sharing Kris! {{{hugs}}}

Wendy Swenne said...

Wow, what a beautiful card you've made!!

Thanks for playing along with us at WAW.

Wendy

Helen said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this card! I love the colors, little Tilda and how you have her on the card and all the embellishments! Beautiful card! ~H

Seleise said...

wow- LOVE this card - the scene is awesome and the layers are just perfectly put together. Thanks for the tips on shooting the photo - will have to remember that!