Sunday, May 27, 2012

SSiC - Have No Fear

Good morning!  It's time for another challenge at Stampin' Sisters in Christ Challenges.

Our hostess this week is sweet Candace who shares this verse: 
"The Lord is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?" Psalm 118:6

Card Challenge: 
Do something on your card that you're "afraid" of!
(ie. CAS style, stitching, a vintage look, etc. Just do something you wouldn't normally do!) 

Our Sponsor:
Sweet n' Sassy Stamps giving 3 digis of winner's choice
Tilda Picking Lilacs
What was my fear?  CAS (clean and simple) cards!!   I normally am just not happy with all the “white space”  ~ I keep wanting to add stuff to it.  So, I stepped out of my comfort zone, stripping it down to the bare necessities to let my image shine.  Well, ok… I did add a few adhesive brads and a punched border.    *Ü*

Speaking of fear… there are lots of things I’m afraid to do.  Like preaching.  When I was in college, I was so scared of public speaking that I put off taking the speech class until my very last semester… only to find out that it was no longer offered.  The only thing that would fulfill that requirement was the speaking class for those being pastors!  I was one of only 2 girls in a class full of men.  The worst part was that they video taped us as we stood in front of the class giving 20 min. sermons, several times throughout the term.  Watching the videos in class was a bit nightmarish too as I had broken out in hives my first time.  After praying desperately before each sermon I had to give, God gave me the courage to go on and get through it.   Although I ended up with a B in that class, I can’t say that experience helped me overcome my fear of public speaking.  I can sing in front of 500 people I don’t know, but to have to speak my own words, forget it!!  I do know now that I CAN if I have to, but I’ll go kicking and screaming to NOT have to!!  (ok, a li’l exaggerated) 

The Scripture for this week (and that this challenge is based on) reminds me of David & Goliath. David had to trust and depend on God to help him fight the giant and ultimately win the battle against the Philistines.  David’s faith in God caused him to have a different perspective on the situation.  Goliath was merely a mortal man defying all all-powerful God.  But David saw the battle from God’s perspective.  We can put this to use in our own lives as well.  If we look at giant problems or seemingly impossible situations from God’s perspective, we realize that God will fight for us and with us against our enemy (who we know is always knocking at our door and weaseling himself into our lives to try to turn us from God and plant fear and doubt in us.)  When we look at things with God’s perspective, we see things more clearly and are more capable to fight effectively.  Another thing we can learn from David is that we need to take courageous action in the face of insults or fearful circumstances (ie. giving a sermon  or speech in front of a group… told you or a family member has cancer or other disease… talking to an authority figure who clearly did you or your family member wrong, etc).  Sometimes just getting through a day can be a “fearful circumstance"… But with God, all things are possible!!   Psalm 46:1 says, “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in times of trouble.” Who wouldn’t want Him on their side??  

Hop over to our challenge blog to read Candace's devotional for this week and enter to win!! You'll find lots more inspiration at my sistahs blogs as well...
                                                                                                                               
Candace Pierce Candace
Diane Noble Diane
Helen Phelps 
Helen
Jerusha Borden 
Jerusha 
Linda Lucas Linda
Marilynn DeGroot Marilynn
Michelle Coon Michelle
Miesje Flach Miesje
Peggysue Turner  Peggysue
SandieLbw2 
Sandie
Traci Major Traci
 

Card Supplies:
Stamps: Tilda Picking Lilacs; Happy Birthday sentiment is from the Everyday Words cling set from Serendipity  Ink: black Memento Ink on Neenah White cardstock 80lb and colored with Copics
Punch: Martha Stewart

15 comments:

Diane said...

Kris...what a perfectly sweet and adorable card. This little cutie is so precious she just had to be on the card all by herself! You did good! I love it. I so appreciated your post thoughts too. Sometimes I wonder how many of God's blessings I have missed because of fear. Your encouragement will serve to strengthen hearts today...just like a sermon would!! ;)

Lorie said...

You did a fantastic job of clean and simple Kris! This card really shows your coloring skill...love that!

It is normal to have a fear of public speaking...most of the general public does. I can't say that I love it but I will do it if I have to. :)

Traci M said...

Preach it, sister!! I can not even imagine how intimidating that would be to preach a sermon with video rolling...I took a speech class in college and that was torture. But it did help, I think!
Kris, you are making me want to bring out little Miss Tilda, I may have to do that in the short break I have at home between all these travels. She is so adorable, and I love your clean lines with the sentiment inbetween.

I pray you have some real relief with your eye and feel much better soon...and take a mini break as soon as you can!!

Wendy said...

Beautiful colouring Kris - love the shades of blue. This is a really sweet card.

I had to chuckle at your story re: the pastors class! However, I get the feeling that God used your fear to put you right where He wanted you to be and that He may have had good purpose for you being in such a class for future purposes!

Yes, it is fearful speaking in front of people. When I was at Bible college, we were often not told until a minute or so before a service started that we would be expected to give our testimony! Sometimes in the middle of a service even! And sometimes we only had 3 minutes to tell it in!!! I've never been good at summarizing and so this was always difficult for me. Sometimes we had to speak/preach at the Mound in Edinburgh too (or should I say shout through a tanoy)at shoppers and other pedestrians passing by.

The college motto was RFA (Ready For Anything). I wanted to change it to Ready for Away!!!

Lovely Linda said...

Hi Kris - you nailed this weeks challenge - your card is gorgeous! Tilda is so beautifully coloured! Your words are so timely for so many! {{{hugs}}}

ScrappySandie said...

Hi Kris! Lovely CAS card! You did it!! And Tilda is so adorable...colored beautifully! Thanks for the words of encouragement in the face of all kinds of fears: remember to look at our fears from the right perspective...God's!
Hugs!
Sandie

Peggysuez said...

Your copic coloring skills are amazing, Tilda looks like she is going to walk off the page! Lovely job on the CAS card, although as with Linda, you still have a style of your own that never departs from your cards! One Sunday we ought to do a switcheroo and do our best to imitate another team member, although I'd never be able to match the coloring skills most of you possess!

Miesje said...

That is a great CAS card! I love how you can make CAS look so divine! I took speech in college too - I think that is when my first gray hair popped out too! :-) Have a great week!

MaxineD said...

Why are you afraid if CAS - you have nailed it perfectly!!
Blessings
Maxine

Kathy W. said...

This is Super Kris! I love the CAS style and that image is so cute!

Helen said...

I LOVE your card! I love the crisp white of a CAS card! :) I love your coloring of Tilda, too! Great job! I'm so thankful I took that speech class my first year! I would have hated doing the other one! I don't like speaking in front of people, either, unless it's a group of people under 12!!! Have a blessed week!
~H

Kelly L said...

What a lovely job, Kris! I love this Tilda image :) been a long time favorite since our KL SNS days *sniffle* You did a great job with the CAS challenge. I have a problem with those too, but your white space looks terrific! Hugs, Kel

Cultivate Life in Joy said...

Simply...beautiful. I'm in the same boat with you. Your card is lovely.

Glimpses of My Heart said...

This is a great card! I love the sentiment with the line around the image. Love how that looks!
Blessings,
Michelle

Seleise said...

Love it, Kris! The way you grounded the image and your amazing coloring - all is stunning! Love the story too. I get really nervous about singing but usually can do that easier than talking in front of a group. :) Great post and great card!