Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fragrance of Life...

Good morning!  It’s Sunday and that means we have a new challenge up at Stampin’ Sisters in Christ Challenges!  The Scripture that inspired Peggysue this week is 2 Cor 2:16b . . ."to the other the fragrance of life" ~ please hop over to our challenge blog to read her thoughts on this verse and join in the challenge, which is:  USE FLOWERS  ~ we have a new sponsor this week too called Verses Rubber Stamps who is offering one player a $20 Gift Certificate! 

The Fragrance of Life:  This verse reminds me of a song I sang in H.S. many years ago called “The Perfect Rose” by Dottie Rambo.  It speaks of how sweet the fragrance is when the rose petals are crushed… and then in the 2nd verse it compares it to Jesus being our perfect rose, that was crushed for our sins.  Let me see if I can find the lyrics for you, it’s a beautiful song!

In a corner on a table on a spread of Ivory lace.
Framed and kissed by pastel colors dancing through the crystal vase
Scarlet red it’s petals, opened in full bloom.
Taking nothing but the sunshine leaving fragrance in the room
 
Hands reached out without a reason crushed and bruised the petals so
Causing yet a sweeter fragrance from the weeping dying rose
Lying now in ruins to wither scattered now by careless hands
Once an art of perfect beauty dies to never bloom again
 
In a corner of a stable on a spread of swaddling clothes
Just a tiny bud but destined to become The Perfect Rose.
Angels hailed His entrance Wise Men brought Him gold
Knowing little of the suffering that would soon befall The Rose
 
Hands reached out without a reason crushed and bruised The Perfect Rose
Causing yet a sweeter fragrance as the crimson color flowed
Ugly thorns had never marred it ‘till a crown of thorns He wore
Tasting death the Rose of Sharon rose to bloom forever more, forever more.

Thank you, Lord for being The Perfect Rose!!  Because You allowed Yourself to be crushed and bruised and put to death, we can have everlasting life with You in Heaven!! 

This card is not my usual style… but I think I really like it.  I want to thank my friend Traci for the $20 GC I won on her blog which allowed me to get this beautiful stamp set of Nina Brackett’s called Hugs & Prayers.  I love birds and don’t have many bird stamps, so this set jumped out at me – so pretty!  So I made this card to thank Traci for her generous gift.  I also want to thank my friend Helen for the li’l bunch of purple flowers in the corner—she sent me those in a li’l birthday package last year—thanks Helen! 


I stamped the images in VersaMark on vellum cardstock and embossed with white ep.  Then I colored on the backside with Copic markers and layered onto light pink cardstock and machine-stitched around the square.  For the base card, I used a FREE svg from SheryKdesigns called Lacey Square.  I used my SCAL software to add a rounded square and overlapped them just barely to create a fold line at the top.   I’m so excited about learning li’l things like that with my software… after having it for a year it’s like Christmas all over again when I learn something new with it!  It cut beautifully.
 
Hope you’ll come play along in our challenge this week!  All ya gotta do is Use Flowers!!  *Ü*

11 comments:

Traci M said...

This is such a beautiful card, Kristine...and I am slightly blushing here!! You have shown me such warm friendship, and I am happy you have this beautiful stamp set, to make a unique creation; the nosegay in the corner is sweet, too. Your coloring on the vellum just pops!! I have no idea what the files and all are that you use to make this shaped card, but it does sound like fun!! Have a blessed week!!

Becky said...

This is gorgeous Kris, love the colors of the flowers and bird, and the frame is lovely!
Hugs & Blessings

Grace said...

Hi Kristine! Oh I love your card and I know Traci does too!!! Love the pretty shape! I have the SCAL software too but every time I have tried to use it, it doesn't seem to match the size it's supposed to be. I got discouraged and quit trying. Perhaps I need to pull it out and try again! LOVE your delightful results!!! Have a wonderful week!
hugs,
grace

MariLynn said...

This is gorgeous!! I love the colors you used. Those purple flowers look awesome!! I hope you have a blessed week!!!

Glenda Atkins said...

Gorgeous card Kris, a wonderful display of craftsmanship. You are so good!

glassgraffitix2 said...

This card is a beauty, Kristine! It really caught my eye!

Kathy W. said...

This is so beautiful Kris..love the hummingbird and the flowers are the perfect touch!

Helen said...

Very pretty card! I love all the dimension! (and you're welcome:))

Wendy said...

Beautiful project and song. I have never heard this song before ... the words are really beautiful...

Miesje said...

Love it Kris! The colors are so soft and pretty. THat is a great stamp set and you are amazing with the computer and gadgets! Have a great week!

Peggysuez said...

I love all the techniques you used on this card and it isn't your usual style, no, but I still see 'you' in this card. The creator always leaves a mark. :) Have a great day friend of mine.