Sunday, July 03, 2011

A Clean & Simple Baby Card

Happy Holiday Weekend to you!!  I don't know about you, but I am thoroughly enjoying this nicer weather!!  My daughter had a not-so-nice oral surgery this last week but is doing much better.  We wanted to get it over with and healed before we leave for our beach vacation in a couple weeks--I'm so excited!  Last year was great going to Disneyland and all, but I really love the ocean and just spending some relaxing time with the fam at the beach so that's our vacation of choice this year.  *Ü*

Speaking of relaxing and slowing down... we've got a new challenge up at Stampin' Sisters in Christ Card Callenges today.
   Our hostess is Peggysue and she has a wonderful devotional on this subject.  Slowing down... and spending quality time with God.  You'll want to click thru to read her devotional on the SSIC blog

Scripture:  Psalm 46:10  "Be still and know that I am God." 
Challenge:  Make a CAS (Clean & Simple) card

For me, what comes to mind when I read this Scripture is the story of two sisters, and friends of Jesus, Mary & Martha found in Luke 10:38-42.  How Martha, knowing who Jesus was and that He was there for a visit, kept about preparing the meal for this group of people and actually getting upset with Mary because she wasn't helping her.  In fact, Mary was sitting at Jesus' feet and listening to what He had to teach.  (hmmm, reminds me of my daughters when one starts complaining because the other one isn't doing as much work as she is ... or worse, just sits there, watching tv or listening to her MP3 player!)   Of course there's a time and place to be diligent and to work at the daily tasks... and there's a time when we should come into His presence and listen to what our Lord has to teach us (by reading His Word and praying and listening to Him).

I have to admit... there've been plenty of times when I've been a Martha instead of a Mary!  In fact, every time I know that my dad is coming over for a visit, I scramble to clean up the house, and even after he's already here...  I keep picking up the little things because I know what a "clean freak" he is.  I guess part of me worries what he'll think of me if I just sit and are "comfortable" with the way the house is.  But on the flip side... when I go to my parents' house for a meal, it bothers me that he gets up and does the dishes right after we eat instead of just hanging out and visiting with us.  I tell him, "Dad, those can wait, come sit down"... and he doesn't, so we usually get up and help clean up as soon as the meal is over.  What would I do if it was Jesus coming to my house?  The truth is... there are many times when the Lord is calling us ... He wants us to come into His presence and spend quality time with Him.  Are we too busy? 

I encourage you to make it a priority this week to spend some quality time with God.  You'll be blessed in doing so!! 

My Card Deets:
I used this sweet digi from Designed 2 Delight called "Baby Buggy - Heaven Sent" and colored with Copics.  The white layer is pearlized and has a shimmer and it's dry embossed with ... uuummm, can't remember but it's a Cuttlebug folder!  LOL.  And some li'l green gems in the middle of the spokes (gotta add a li'l bling) and a shiny green ribbon.  Prolly the Simplest card I've ever made!!  =) 
I’ll be back tomorrow with something red/white/blue & turtle-y too!  *Ü*

17 comments:

Grace said...

Hi Kris! What an absolutely adorable baby card!!! I just love embossed white backgrounds! I need to do more of them! LOVED reading your words today as I tend to be a Martha myself.... and I need to constantly remind myself of what's really important! Thanks for sharing and I hope your DD heals quickly!

Miesje said...

Oh Chris, great baby card! I loved reading your take on the scripture. As I am up in my craft room checking the blogs with a house full of company, I too have a tendency to clean the entire time they are here, yet do not like it when others do it. Great sharing!

Lorie said...

This is just gorgeous!

Lori said...

Great CAS Kris! Hope you dd is better soon. Mine had all her wisdom teeth out last summer and it was not-so-nice either. Your relaxing vaca sounds wonderful. I enjoyed your post thanks for sharing. Your new blog look is awesome! I have a new blog and email-creativepapermyway.blogspot.com and stokeswright@gmail.com

Lagene said...

Your card is Gorgeous! & your words of encouragement are food for thought!

Kathy W. said...

Beautiful Baby card Kris. Love that embossing folder and you colored the baby carriage perfectly. Love the green!! Have a great vacation and hope (I'm guessing Carly) is feeling better real soon.

Carmen said...

Very cute card! And...oh my, I'm your Dad! I think from now on when I have company, I'll leave the dishes for a while and visit instead. Thanks for the reminder!

Becky said...

Loved reading your insight on the scripture today. And what a fabulously adorable card. Love that gorgeous green ribbon.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Lovely insight on the scripture today!Beautiful baby card!Love the soft colors and your beautiful coloring!
Hugs,
Chris

MariLynn said...

Kris, what a gorgeous card. I love that embossing. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I know that I am a Martha too many times. I hope that your daugther continues to heal. I hope you have a fantastic 4th of July and a blessed week!

Shelly Schmidt said...

What a sweet sweet image and card! I love layout- that embossing folder is really nice!

Sara I. said...

Sooooo gorgeous Kristine! Love the sweet embossing and gorgeous ribbon. The little gems inside the wheels are so sweet! Glad to hear that your dd is doing better but will keep her in my prayers for continued healing.

MaxineD said...

Kris this card is delicious :-) Thanks for sharing your thoughts - I am a bit hard headed now and tend to say that if the house is not tidy, then tough, they come to see me not my house!!
Blessings
Maxine

Peggysuez said...

I am glad you get the chance to share meals with your family, that is precious time to be treasured. I am guilty of that too, cleaning up instead of enjoying the company! This is a great card too, really stands out, the green is so pretty with the white flourish background.

Helen said...

Gorgeous baby card! I love the green & white together! Thanks for the reminder that sometimes we just need to sit in God's presence.

Lovely Linda said...

Hello Kris - your card is just adorable! I love the image and the embossed background - it has such lovely dimension! Great thoughts too Kris - I tend to be a Martha and need to be a Mary more often - trouble is Mary doesnt tend to be a Martha too often! LOL! Thansk for always inspiring my friend! {{{hugs}}}

Mahmood Ali said...

Fantastic! i appreciate your creativity its looking amazing...
Plastic business cards
Plastic Card