Monday, June 14, 2010

Layers of Color New Release Blog Hop

Wooohooo... it's New Release Day at Layers of Color and we're having a blog hop and ending with a party at the LOC Blog!! If you came here from Grace's blog then you are in the right spot! ☺ If you just happened across my blog, please start back at Layers of Color. You are in for a treat today as the Design Team shares their favorite projects with you using the new ART STENCILS that are available today in the shop! When you are done with my post here, you will want to hop on over to Lovely Linda's blog.

I have not one but TWO projects to share today using 3 of the stencils, including [my attempt at] a tutorial on using them. ☺ Also, I'm doing a giveaway right here on my blog!! The winner will be chosen from the comments left here on this post and announced tomorrow! Winner will get to pick one of the 3 stencils that I've used in my projects today. ☺

First up is this painted cardboard box. I used 2 different stencils: Vintage Medallion (top) and the Belle Brocade (bottom).
(this was brown cardboard to start out. I first painted it red, inside and out)
Then I layed the stencil on top and sponged light pink acrylic paint over the whole top, and then sponge daubed darker pink on top (whilst keeping the stencil in place).
Same with the bottom stencil and then after the paint dried (acrylics dry fast!), I added embellishments and wha-la! My sister Kathy was the recipient of this box for her birthday.

And next up is a wooden "B" that I did and actually remembered to take pictures along the way so I could share a tutorial with you. ☺ The stencil used in this project is called Natural Flourish.
I used acrylic paints and sponge brushes. You could also use makeup application sponges (prolly works even better than these as they aren't as porous).
First, I painted the letter, front and back with a dark blue.
After the paint dried, I layed my stencil on to get a feel for what part of the stencil I wanted where.
Then, using the sponge brush and holding the stencil in place with my left hand, I "Daubed" my brushed in straight up and down motions to fill in the empty spots. If you "brush" it on, you're more likely to get paint under the stencil and not get a crisp image.
I washed the stencil after every application as the acrylic paint dries quickly!
(starting with a clean stencil each time)
Here is my letter all stenciled.
It looks good, but I thought some white highlights would make it pop and make it more complete. So I used a white gel pen and outlined here and there just outside my leaves.
And to finish off my project, I added some stamped birds from the Backyard Birds clear art stamp set, also from Layers of Color!
Your next stop on this hop is Lovely Linda's Craft Central!!
Before you go, I have more exciting news!! Layers of Color is having their first ever sale going on right now through Friday--all ART STENCILS and all ART STAMPS are on SALE at 15% OFF!!!

Lots of fabulous stuff going on today!! Laura is sharing a fabulous tutorial on a cake slice box on the LOC blog, Grace has a new Altered Art gallery open at LOC, and if you've done the blog hop and you still want more, we invite you to head on over to our SNR Group from 4-5 p.m. PST (7-8 p.m. EST) as there will be more FREEBIES and fun chat over there as well... like another PARTY!! Thanks for joining us in the fun--it wouldn't be the same without you!! :)
DEETS:
Flowers and pearls used on first altered box is from McMahon Five Designs

26 comments:

Debbie Pamment said...

AAaaaaaaaah Kris - I found you - LOL. It took me a couple of weeks to realise I hadn't updated your blog as per your email - like most things it was on my "to do" list - LOL. Then I LOST THE EMAIL!!!! Hubby did a clear out - NOOOOOOO!!!!
Am sooo glad I tracked you down and can start being your friendly stalker again - woohooooo!

LOVE these fabulous ideas! Glad to see you haven't lost your talent - just ME for a bit - LOL

xXx

MaxineD said...

thank you Kris for the great tutorial - especially the tip about sponging straight up and down when using paint :-) Love that letter B - it is really dramatic!

Laura - Layers of Color said...

Oh my gracious, Kristine these are SO GORGEOUS!! I adore the patterned color, so vibrant and fresh! Joyful projects with tuts and tips too! Wow!

Thank you for always sharing the best of your amazing talents! We're so blessed by you!

The Paper Princess said...

Both projects are beautiful but that letter is just stunning! Great tips Kris!

Hugs
Ramona
http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

Lovely Linda said...

Hi Kris - your projects are stunning - you have been so creative with the Art Stencils Kris - I love the way you have done such different styles and yet each is gorgeous! hwta a blessing you are to the LOC DT my friend! Your work is inspiring - love it! Great tutorial too Kris - thanks for giving me ideas! {{{hugs}}}

Grace said...

Wow Kris....these are both gorgeous!!!I love the pretty box and that letter is just stunning!!!Thanks for the great tips and ideas! Lots of info today and what a fun time.... thanks for all your inspiration!!!

Gina said...

Those are both soo soo pretty kris!!!! I really love how you doodled around the flourishes on the B.

Sue @ McMahon Five Designs said...

Beautiful Projects, Kristine! Those stencils are really, really nice!

byondbzr said...

These are both beautful, I love the stencils too! Thank you for sharing!

Crystal said...

Oh my girl these are two SWEEEET projects...LOVE the colors of that box and wow what a lucky gal to get that for her birthday I bet she LOVED it...Your stenciling is awesome too, thanks for sharing that great tutorial!

Candace said...

Wow, kris! Both projects are GORGEOUS!!! Yes, the white highlights were perfect on the letter. Beautiful job today!

Randi said...

Kris, these are awesome creations! I especially love the flourish and the medallions stencils. Bravo to Laura for such a unique release. You do her proud!

Kathy Winter said...

Oh wow! These are beautiful. And I must say the box is even more beautiful IRL. Thanks Kris for that. Love the stencil on the "B" It's great.

MariLynn said...

Kristine, what a great tutorial. I love how the stencil looks on your "B" I really liked the little white highlights that you added. It really makes it pop! Have a blessed day!

Lori said...

Fabulous, Kristine! The box is beautiful and RED. The "B", blue, birdie, is an amazing work of art! I'm going to miss the party :-{ I'll be a the soccer banquet. Bummer.

Electra said...

I LOVE the box, the colour is so rich and love how you've done the sides. That must have taken some patience!

Helen said...

Kris, these projects are both amazing! I love them! Altered art is also something that I enjoy and it's wonderful seeing it on my favorite blog! :)
Blessings!
~H

Becky said...

wow, both of these are fabulous, I never knew you could do so much with stencils, but that is why I blog hop :).

Peggy Lacktorin said...

Love the box and altered letter....MARVELOUS CREATIONS!!

Michelle ~ daydreams505 said...

Hi Kris, both of your projects today are awesome! I really love the you've effect created on both of them. :) Michelle

JaniceAileen said...

Those are beautiful projects, Kristine! LOVE the colors on that B!

Kelly - KL Stampin N Scrappin said...

Looks fab, sweetie!! You create such beautiful projects, and this one is no exception!! :) Love the new look of the blog with the teddy bears, too. Hugs, Kel xo

designsfromwithinbycharlotte said...

WOW, these are both gorgeous! I love altered boxes and yours is so pretty with the red and white and pink! Your initial is stunning and thank you so much for your tutorial, makes me want to go make one myself! Thanks so much for the inspiration.
Hugs,
Charlotte
XXX

beadz said...

Oh my goodness, what beautiful projects!
hugs,
Gini

Lagene said...

Kris, these are beautiful projects, thanks for the tutorial...would absolutely love to win one of them!

thinker said...

two gorgeous projects! love the both!!