Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Tutorial for 4-Drawer Easel Card

Well I am not a pro at making tutorials, that's for sure! But every Wednesday at KLSNS the DT hosts "Stampin N' Scrappin With..." and today it's with me, so here goes!!

I'm going to walk you through how to make one of these easel 4-Drawer cards without having to use a Sizzix template. Easy peasy... anyone can do this!

First, we will start by making the drawers. I used lightweight designer paper here, but in my first one I used SU! cardstock. The c.s. is obviously more sturdy, however is harder to fold.

You will start with Four (6") squares.

You want to fold it in half, then open it up and fold it in half the opposite way so it looks like this.

Next, you fold all 4 corners up to the center point and leave them folded.

With the corners folded in, take the bottom edge and fold it up to the center like this:

Unfold that one and fold the next edge up to the center.
Repeat on all sides. It should look like this now:

Open up the top and bottom sections but leave the 2 sides folded in like this:

Next, fold the 2 sides up on the fold line like this:

Then, if you creased all your folds really well, you will be able to press your pointer fingers in like this and have that top corner pop up like this:

(pardon the bad manicure job---those are my 11 yr. old's hands! LOL)
Then you'll fold that top Corner over the pieces that your pointer fingers were pressing in and press it down on the inside like this:

Do the same with the other side and you will end up with this cute li'l origami box.
No need to tape the flaps down, unless they are sticking up.

I cut a piece about 2 and 1/16" for the inside bottoms of the drawers.

NEXT comes the wrappers for the drawers. These will hold the drawers in place and will be taped down onto a base. I cut mine out of cardstock for stability.

In case you can't read the measurements on the picture,
I cut my wrappers 7 3/4" long by 2 1/8" wide.
Then scored it at 7/8", 3 1/8", 4 1/4", and 6 1/2"
Making sure the shorter end is on the outside, add some tape to the edge and seal it.
Your box should slide right in!
Next, you'll want to cut your base from cardstock (or heavier) to match, at 5" Square. You will want to arrange your boxes so that each drawer is facing a different side. Also, making sure that the wrapper that has the seam is facing another wrapper and not an outside edge. We don't want the seam to show. When you get them arranged, tape them down to the 5" square.

Oh ya... I forgot the part about adding KNOBS to your drawers! You can use anything that sticks out and you can grab onto. Here, I used some gold thingies that are flat on one side. I attached with a pop dot so I can get my finger under it a li'l bit and have something to grab onto. I've also seen pipe cleaners that formed a loop and then stuck into the drawer through a hole and flattened out on the other side.
OK... Now for the easel part. It's super easy!
Just make a 5" square card, and then score the top in half again at 2.5" -
Then you will attach your separate 5" piece that you decorated like this:

Then you will tape the bottom of your card to the top layers of the drawer wrappers and... Wha-La!!

Sorry that was incredibly long! But thorough I think.
Hope you have FUN with this--they are super cute and fun to make.
♥ ♥ ♥
STAMP I used here is Love Bubbles by Penny Johnson for Stampavie

30 comments:

Riet said...

Ohhh wowww Kristine,what a beautiful creations,i love your images and colours.
So gorgeous papers and details.

Hugs Riet.xx

ladyjanet_56 said...

wow great card Kristine & thanks for instructions, Janet

Patti said...

Great tutorial, darling card and cute 11yr old hands! I will give this a go with your tutorial!:)

Lori said...

Great! The photos and steps broken down are perfect.

Thistleblue said...

Wow that looks amazing, and the tutorial and piccies look very easy to follow! I am definitely going to try this creation. Thank you very very much for sharing!

Have a good day
hugs
Michelle
x

Diane said...

Wow Kristine! That is beautiful!
Thanks for the wonderful tutorial,will have to try and make this one day!!
Could be scarry for me,lol!
Have a super weekend!

Rose Ann said...

This is AMAZING, Kristine!! Thanks so much for your awesome tutorial! I LOVE it!!

Seleise said...

Wow - Kristine - this is amazing! what a super cute idea and your tutorial is great! TFS!

Croms' Cubby Hole said...

Oh wow - love these cards. Such a great idea. Going to have to give this a go.

Lynnor Goodwin said...

This is beyond awesome and sooooo easy!!! Thanks so much for posting your instructions!! Just saved me at least $40!!!!

Lisa Hjulberg said...

Wow, what an awesome tutorial!!! You are so good at those 3D projects. I think you have a lot more patience than me. hee hee

I love that sweet image, too. I saw it at CHA. Adorable!

Jennifer said...

Thats awesome... now I thought I saw somewhere, s ome one did it with 1 drawer... that would be cool, but I am not sure how you would do that.. any ideas?

Bobbi said...

Thank you so much for sharing. Such an inspiration. Beautiful card and drawers.

Creative Grammie said...

Aloha Kristine; Thank you so much for sharing your tutorial of the 4 drawer easel card. I can't wait to try it using your tutorial.
I just found your blog and have subscribed and I hit the follow button.
See you on the blog---

Jennifer Meyer said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful project with us! I created a wonderful piece using your tutorial!

You can view my project here: http://jenniferssweettreatdesigns.blogspot.com

Have a fun week ~ Jennifer :)

Deezines Art said...

I have just found this tutorial through Jennifer Meyer for the Project Tuesday blog - thank you so much for sharing this - and for free! Will definatly be doing this - right now! - Jacqueline xx

Deneen said...

Wow, awesome card/box!!! I found your tutorial through Jennifer...great project, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the great tutorial.

Becky Jo said...

Jennifer sent me and I'm glad she did! Great tutorial. And...beautiful drawer box and easel card! T4S I'm bookmarking your blog and coming back to look at your other creations! Hugs!!

Allycat said...

Kristine, this is genious. It never ceases to amaze me how crafters come up with these ideas. There's been more ideas and innovations on crafting forums, blogs and other sites than anywhere else. I think we should rule the world! I am going to try this project soon.Thanks for sharing this idea xx

Janice said...

Thank you for an awesome tutorial!! This was so easy to put together with your detailed instruction. Thank you google search!

marcymh said...

As soon as I saw this I had to try it.....soooooo easy and beautiful. Thank you so much!!!!

AZOWEN said...

Awesome Tutorial. I love easel cards- this just takes it to a higher level Thanks

jodpea said...

It was pretty easy peasy, but only cos of ur brill tutorial! My attempt is here

Sue - bearhouse said...

This is a wonderful tutorial, thank you so much for sharing

Sue

aussie aNNie said...

Thank you ever so much for this really well put together tutorial. I have been searching for a while for a good tut and finally found one....I am now joining your blog as a new member and hope to make this in the next week...[I am carer 24/7 for my 100yr old dad so don't always get time to concentrate on things like this...] love annie


http://annieforeva.blogspot.com.au

Evie said...

wow...thanks for the tutorial,
Love it..

Hugs,
Evie

Charlotte C said...

This is crazy gorgeous. Can't wait to try it. Great tutorial too.

Edwina said...

Kris, This is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing this. Edwina Brown

Silvis Kreativstube said...

Hallo Kris,

was für ein wunderschönes Tutorial. Eine sehr schöne Geschenkidee. Ich werde das auf alle Fälle mal versuchen nachzubasteln. Es steht in meinem To-Do Heft... Momentan habe ich Zeitmangel, Weihnachten kommt einfach zu schnell.

Liebe Grüße Silvi

Jeanne said...

I don't even know for what I was searching when I seen the thumbnail for your easel card. The colors and design remind me of my grandmother, I love her and your card/trinket holder! Great tutorial!