Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Handmade Paper Roses for My Bella Rosa

Welcome to Kristine's LaLa Land!! (aka: "my happy place") I've been having so much fun with my newest stamp, Bella Rosa... Oh, I mean Porsha, from LaLa Land Crafts! Isn't she beautiful? AND... since our challenge hostess used her this week as well, Porsha is ON SALE all week long at 20% off!!

I paired her with some older DP that I had called Bella Rose. Speaking of "roses" this week's LaLa challenge is for us to make our own flowers! The lovely Kim is our challenge hostess today, and as always the rest of the Design Team has lots of inspiration for you over on our DT blog!
So I used some DP from a retired Bella Rose pack to make my roses. I saw this technique online somewhere but I decided to share how I made mine so here is a little tutorial for ya.

I cut a circle using my Creative Memories circle. (I actually used a variety of sizes for my card.) Then, I turned it over and drew an even spiral. You can also use double-sided or solid color paper works great too.

Cut on the lines.

Then hold it so the colored/patterned side is facing you and sponge the edge whilst at the same time bending the outside edge over as you go. SORRY for the blury pics. My 9 yr. old took them as I was working.

Then I added a tiny bit of tape to the outside end of the spiral and started rolling it inward. At the same time , you want to bend those top edges over slightly until you get it all rolled up. Then adhere more tape to the center spiral piece and press the top center of rose down. If it's wound too tight, you'll want to (before you tape the end) let it go a little bit so it can loosen up and then tape the end down.

and here are my final roses! It's okay that they are a bit ripped as it gives a distressed look and it gives "character" to them ;)


Ok... did I totally lose you on that lame tutorial? LOL! You'll be very happy to know that I'm going to direct you to the tutorial I followed which is so much better, which I could have just directed you to in the first place but then, I already had the pictures so I might as well upload them right? *rolling eyes* Here ya go!! Knock yourself out!! *Ü*

There's LOTS of inspiring handmade flower ideas on the LaLa Blog this week. If you'd like to play along in our challenge, please use a stamp from LLLC on your project and enter using Mr. Linky by Monday night!

Have a great day! *Ü*

17 comments:

Julia Aston said...

I love your roses - thanks for sharing the deets on making them! the paper pieced dress on your cutie is lovely - a great little card!

Cindy Haffner said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!

MariLynn said...

Kristine, I love your roses. I think you did a great job with your tutorial. I love making paper roses. I love how distressed your your roses look. A very vintage look. Have a blessed day.

Elena said...

Gorgeous card and beautiful roses! Thank you so MUCH for sharing tutorial, Kristine!

Crystal said...

Kristine this is beautiful, great tutorial too!!!!

1LuvnMama said...

Holy smokes Kristine! :) Bella Rosa is gorgeous and those roses are to die for! Thanks for sharing the tutorial on how you made them! They look so real! :)

Lori said...

Wonderful rosettes!

Sparkle said...

Such a lovely card!

Lovely Linda said...

Hi Kristine - love thoses roses - your tutorial is great - I don't even need the other one! Gorgeous card and colouring - if I did my DD's hair that tidy, she would tell me she look like a NERD! LOL! Love this Kristine!! {{{hugs}}}

Debbie Pamment said...

Loved your roses and will have to give them a try - will use your tutorial - looks wonderful and I'm sure I won't need to resort to the other link - LOL!
xXx

Jana Weaver said...

Beautiful card Kristine, and awesome roses!! Love that paper...will have to go check my stash to see if I have any left! :-)

Angela Fehr said...

Your roses are fab! Thanks for the tute! I have a giveaway for some Unity verse stamps on my blog if you want to check it out! http://scrapsfrommytable.blogspot.com

PATTY said...

love your card, and thanks for the lesson on making roses. I will have to give it a try.

platform beds said...

This is a nice tutorial! I like the roses and it looks so easy to make. This would be a nice accent to any craft masterpiece.

Rose Ann said...

She is so sweet, and I love your gorgeous flowers and pretty lace!! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial!!

Lisa Hjulberg said...

Awesome card, and awesome tutorial!!! Your roses turned out beautifully! As a paper flower maker myself, I'll have to revisit that technique now that you've inspired me. Great card, my friend!

Love ya!
Lisa

Kelly - KL Stampin N Scrappin said...

Wowwww, what a beautiful job on the paper roses. :)