Sunday, February 28, 2010

SSCC#28 - Colossians 3:17

Good Morning!! It's Sunday, and that means time for another Scripture challenge at Stampin Sisters in Christ Challenges!! Today our hostess is Pamela who is sharing this verse:

Colossians 3:17 "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

And here's what Pamela shared about our challenge this week:
"You have free reign of what you want to do this week. But here's the deal: I want you to actively do this as an act of worship to our God. Before starting, pray. Thank God for your gift. While working, feel free to pray more, or perhaps sing out to Him. Put your focus on Him and remember that it is He who gave you your gift (however good or bad you think you are at this) and remember that it makes Him happy to see you at work. Do this challenge, as if you were doing it for Christ himself!"

I really love Pamela's further thoughts on her challenge, so I encourage you to read about it on our challenge blog!

So... my friend (and DT sister) Lovely Linda did a gorgeous picture frame tutorial over at Midnight Madness blog and so I started perusing that blog a bit more and fell in love with Priscilla's wood box tutorial --- and then it started calling me!! LOL - So I decided to try it! I altered a Band-aid box using some of my FAVORITE items from McMahon Five Designs: this wonderful Cherry Wood paper, this new Butterfly Digi (which will be released tomorrow!!), these gorgeous coffee pearls, and these cute prima flowers.

I added clear stardust gellyroll pen to the butterfly wings--very shiny IRL!
A few deets about my box: I took apart the band-aid box and layed it flat. Then traced it onto the cherry wood paper; everything but the flaps. Then I traced just the top flap separately, and cut it all out. Then I lightly taped the wood to the bandaid box and sewed a triple zigzag stitch all around. Then I taped the smaller wood piece to the top flap of box and sewed half way onto that flap and half way onto the back of box, so that it is flexible. Does that make sense? Anyway, for the half-circle cut out that shows on the front, I made was happily SURPRISED by the outcome when I took a brown marker and colored on top of the glossy white flap. After it dried it turned out crackely-looking and is such a neat look with this box!

*Note about wood: this cherry wood is very thin but does bend pretty well with the grain. However going against the grain will make it crack, so you don't want to score or bend against the grain.

Our challenge for this week was create whatever you want, but do it as an act of worship. I can honestly say that I prayed about my craft time at the beginning and as things started coming together, I realized I was humming a very familiar song out loud called "You are Lord of Creation." I thought that was so funny that God gave me that song in my heart as I was creating-- just thoughtlessly at first, and then made the connection between my song and this project... as a butterfly is such a small thing, but definately one of God's most beautiful creations!! Here are the lyrics to the song:

You Are LORD of Creation

You are Lord of creation and Lord of my life
Lord of the land and the sea
You were Lord of the heavens before there was time
And Lord of my life You will be

We bow down and we worship You Lord
We bow down and we give You glory
We bow down and we bless You 0h Lord
Lord of my life You will be

You are King of creation and King of my life
King of the land and the sea
You were King of the heavens before there was time
And King of my life You will be

I hope that each of you make time to really enjoy a time of creating as you worship our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He gave us this hobby... this art... this skill, so let's give thank HIM as we create this week!


14 comments:

Lovely Linda said...

Oh my giddy aunt Kristine - this is just beautiful - I love the wood paper and that gorgeous butterfly!! I am so thrilled that my Altered Frame inspired you to check out MMSC - now we have to get you to play along! LOL! This is such a 'work of the heart' a beautiful act of worship! I am looking forward to playing this week - Thanks Krisine for your lovely words and the inspiration you give me with your work! God bless you my sister and friend! {{{hugs}}}

Candace said...

WHAT?! That's a BAND-AID BOX?! Wow! Kristine, you know you're talented when you can turn a band-aid box into a GORGEOUS work of art! It is sooo beautiful! Have a great week!! :)

Crystal said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS, LOVE the colors Kristine and that stunning butterfly!

Lori said...

Thank you for the words to that song, it's wonderful! Your box is very pretty. The butterfly looks amazing, great job. The tips will come in handy should I decide to make one. *wink*
-Lori

BananaStamper said...

Such a beautiful project Kristine - wow! Wishing you a wonderful Sunday!
Shanna :)

Randi said...

Kristine, this is a super cute box and expresses your creativity so well. i am always surprised how you take challenges and think "outside the box"!!! Bwaaaah! I love everything from the antenna to the pearls. Have a great week.

StampnInkLady said...

Hi Kristine, Your box is totally Awesome! TFS! I was wondering if you new of a site where I can here this song and other Christian songs, as well as learn the words to them. Hugs Lori Reinholz
stamper572000@yahoo.com

Helen said...

Gorgeous, Kris, just gorgeous! I'm so in love with those pearls, too!
Blessings!
~H

Jana Weaver said...

Beautiful job Kristine! Love the butterfly you created, and the whole box is awesome!

Kathy Winter said...

Beautiful box Kris!! Love the wood paper. The bold butterfly is very pretty and love the beads and flowers too.

peggysue said...

That is a fabulous song, isn't it? Love it. We had a great day of worship today at church, its wonderful to dive into it. I don't think a band aid box has ever received such talented treatment!

Dawn said...

Loving the paper and great box! Very thankful to Pam for her challenge this week is was super!

Love Dawn xx

Pamela said...

This is gorgeous! How creative too! Amazing. :)

Sue @ McMahon Five Designs said...

Ha! Who knew it was a bandaid box!! So very clever! This is absolutely stunning, Kristine! You are just so awesome with the wood papers. Well done!

(((HUGS)))
Sue
McMahon Five Designs