Sunday, November 08, 2009

SSCC #12 - Cards for Heroes

Today we have a very special challenge over at Stampin' Sisters in Christ Challenges! You will have until this Saturday, Nov. 14th at 11:59 p.m. PST to enter your card/project for a fabulous stamp set donated by our lovely sponsor, Paper Pretties!

Our hostess this week is Candace Mitchell. The scripture she chose is John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this that he lay down his life for his friends."

Her challenge for us is to create "Cards for Heroes"--people who put their lives on the line every day in the jobs/careers that they have. We are encouraged to create a patriotic card for someone in the military to encourage them and tell them "Thanks for serving" AND/OR we can make cards for our military to send to loved ones at home (wives, children, friends, any occassion). You can send your card to someone you know, OR send to Candace for the OWH drive and she will send a box to the headquarters. You can read the deets and get her email on our CHALLENGE BLOG.

These first two cards I made for OWH (Operation Write Home) for our military men and women to write home on. I used this G.I. Jon stamp from Hanna Stamps and this sketch is from this week's Mojo Monday! OH, if you do this, you need to follow specific guidelines, so please read about those on the challenge blog as well. I've attached both my card front to white card bases.

Then I thought of our local firefighters who could use a thank you as well! My husband was a volunteer firefighter for 10 years (has since retired that) and when I told him about these cards I was making other heroes, he said, "Well, I use to be a fireman too!" (in his sad little "where's MY treat" kind of voice!) LOL Sooo... I used this Lexi stamp (from the "Made with Love" set being donated this week!) to make a tag that says, "You're STILL my hero!" and attached it to a plate of my homemade peanutbutter cookies with mini reeses cups on top (his favorite!)
And I found this card I had made (years ago!) that I still had around and I plan on sending to one of my husband's friends who is currently a local firefighter. It has "A Firefighter's Prayer" printed on vellum and attached over half the card front.
"A Firefighter's Prayer"

When I am called to duty, God
Wherever flames may rage
Give me strength to save a life
Whatever be it's age.

Let me embrace a little child
Before it's too late
Or save an older person from
The horror of that fate.

Enable me to be alert
And hear the weakest shout
And quickly and efficiently
To put the fire out.

I want to fill my my calling
To give the best in me,
To guard my friend and neighbor
And protect their property.

And if according to your will,
I have to lose my life,
Please bless with your protecting hand,
My family and my wife.

I hope you will take the time this week to make a card for a hero, near or far, known or unknown. We also hope to get a big box of cards for Candace to send to OWH headquarters next week. Thank you for taking time to make a difference!!
Photobucket

13 comments:

Shary said...

All your projects are just great Kristine, love the moose soldiers!!

Laurie said...

Ok, Krisitne: You are amazing to make all these! I love the camo moose - too cute!!

Davi said...

Wow sorry you experienced bad comments. Sad people use public forems to unleash their own unhappiness and ignorance. Both of your creations are wonderful! Fun and cheery to give thanks for our heros. Your fireman card is so cool and how thoughtful to honor your own hero. smiles :)

Lori said...

Your samples are wonderful, Kristine!
Re-comment moderation
What is wrong with people?! Gosh, grow up, right?

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What an awesome challenge!!! I love what you did with Riley!! Your firefighter card is an awesome idea as well!! And your treat bag....you are just so amazing and generous my friend.
hugs,
Chris

Candace said...

Kristine, I LOVE all of your creations! Those little mooses are too cute! I love that you made a male and a female card and that was so sweet of you to make something for the firefighters. :) Beautiful creations!

Kim Yu said...

Cute moose! Your card is adorable, Kristine!
Hope you are enjoying your day!

Ceal said...

wow you have been a busy girl. I love all your projects they are beautiful! Especially the firefighter one

Danni said...

Wonderful, wonderful projects!!

Lisa Hjulberg said...

Awesome post, Kris, and awesome cards. Please pass the cookies! YUMMMMMM!

Love ya,
Lisa

Deb (dcorder) said...

LOL...that camo Riley is too funny! Great cards for a great cause!

Helen said...

AWESOME! Riley is soooo cute and I love how you made a pink one, too!
Blessings!
~H

theneon said...

What could be cuter and more perfect. But I think it is your husband who really lucked out! Great way to treat heroes near and far.