Monday, October 26, 2009

Mardi Gras Card & Ornament

Mabye I should've added a warning to this post... "May Need Sunglasses to View this Card!" LOL! Good Monday morning stampers!! As you can see I've been a busy bee... not only crafting an OVER-THE-TOP card, but this lovely mardi gras beaded ornament as well. It's actually been a few weeks since I made this and the recipient has already received it! I've posted several of my collector ornaments on my blog before, so if you'd like to see them, click HERE. I've been making them for the past several years for my mom and MIL for Christmases and birthdays, and this year I ordered a few extra kits to make and send to a few friends. This one was well recieved by my friend (& boss) Nicole. She had commented to me once about how gorgeous my ornaments were, and when I saw this new orament kit it made me think of her--it's called "Mardi Gras" and has some of her favorite colors in it and I just thought she would love this. She IMed me that day and told me she was in tears earlier that day because "someone" had done something so special for her. Awwww, that made my day. I'm so glad you like it Nicole.

OK, on to the card: The name for this one inspired me to make a matching card, which was possibly THE FUNNEST (? is that a word?) CARD I've ever made thus far. I found a picture of a mardi gras mask online to print and then I pop dotted it over Angelica's face. Then I added lots of glitter, curly ribbons and fun yarn. For the background I tried a technique that my DT sister Jessica showed us on the KLSNS blog a couple weeks ago. You run a piece of white c.s. through the cuttlebug and then take a crayon (purple in this case) and run over the embossed parts. Then you sponge on the contrasting color to fill in the rest of the space. In this case, I cheated and brayered the green galore onto the cb folder and run my c.s. back through! I also gave Angelica some fish net stockings by drawing them on with a black marker. Added gold ricrac and gems. Talk about BLING! This is the blingiest card I've ever made as well =)
and here's a better picture of the ornament that I "stole" off Nicole's blog since it came out so much better than the one I took! ;)

Before I go, I want to let you know that Inky Impressions is having a GUESSING GAME contest to guess the name of the new Inky Mama character making it's stamp debut with this new winter release! You can WIN the new character stamp free along with a package of new embellies and things!
Photobucket

22 comments:

Annette Bowes said...

Absolutely stunning, seen this over on Nicole Blog, what a lucky friend she is! Your ornaments are absolutely gorgeous, blown away, just love them all. Oh and just love the new Angelica, love the fish net stockings and such a beautiful mask! Definately lots of bling, take careX:)

Debbie Pamment said...

What a fun and funky card!!! No sunglasses needed - they would make it waayyy too hard to see this beauty in all her glory!
xXx

CraftyC said...

Wow Kristine, these are stunning, love your card
Clairex

CraftyC said...

Wow Kristine, these are stunning, love your card
Clairex

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Wow Kristine!!! I just love your blinged up card and ornament. I saw it already on Nicole's blog. It is so gorgeous. Can I come and make ornaments with you?!!! It looks like so much fun!! These are both so stunning. Love what you did to Angelica! Too creative!!

hugs,
Chris

Candace said...

WOW! This is awesome, Kris!! I love it. Your ornament and card are both beautiful. That card looks so fun. I live about 45 min. from New Orleans so people are all about Mardi Gras down here and you definitely captured the spirit of Mardi Gras in both. Have a great day!!

craft_princess said...

This is so amazing!! One of the best I have seen...really! So much detail and everything looks perfect!

Crystal said...

Kristine girl this looks AMAZING, I just love love the added Mask on this SWEET image!!! Your ornament WOW WOW girl!!! I was soooo lucky to see this in person, its AWESOME!!!! You rock girl!!! Have a great Monday!!!

peggysue said...

You do have the bling going on, guess you knew in this gray rainy day I needed something to help me wake up! Very pretty ornament and such a fun card! Great idea with the mask, she's all disguised now.

Davi said...

Wow Kristine, your ornament is just beautiful! Your card is fantastic. I love all the color bling that very cool mask and headpiece and those fishnet stocking are just too cute!!

Barb said...

Kristine, both the ornament and the card are soooo Mardi Gras! I love them! What a nice idea to make the matching card. Great colors and image!

Barb

Danni said...

Wow! Speechless here. This is beyond show stopping stunning and so creative!
AWESOME job!

Sue from Oregon said...

Both outstanding and exciting to see such creative creations! Wow!!!!

Helen said...

WOW! You ARE the most talented person I've ever met!!! Those are awesome!
Blessings!
~H

Kelly - KL Stampin N Scrappin said...

Wow, Kris! That mardi gras card is the coolest, and you know I LOVE those ornaments. I was going to try and make some for next month for our church's Christmas tree. This year we are to make a handmade ornament or 2 or 3, and then we will be taking donations/auctioning them for Missions, and the donator can take an ornament home from the tree. I "almost" purchased the kit to make a couple but then chickened out and just got some glass ornaments, rub-ons and fake snow for inside them. LOL :) Kel

Rose Ann said...

Oh my gosh...both are so beautifully detailed and amazing, Kristine!!

Scrubbybubbles(sue) said...

Wow...both the ornament and the card are just breathtaking! wonderful wonderful!!

Melissa Craig said...

Sure - an altered stamp works, too! Thanks for sharing your card with us. It's very Mardi Gras! Beautiful.

Thank you for coming to the Halloween Party at Tuesday Morning Sketches.

Jessica G. said...

Wow -- amazing color and details! What Mardi Gras is complete without bling and feathers?

Awesome job on the CB technique, too; the two-toned effect is truly impressive!!

Irina said...

Your creativity amazes me Kristine!! What an absolutely AWESOME card!!! LOVE it!!
Hugs!!
:) Irina

Tammy said...

Wow how fantastic! Great job with the Tuesday Morning Sketch challenge this week.
I'm loving your work.

Lisa Hjulberg said...

OMWord, your ornaments (I can see others in the recommendations for other posts) and card are INCREDIBLE! You are a woman of many talents. You have to give me the link to that mask. I have a friend who LOVES Mardi Gras. May I CASE you? Oh, Kris, this is just too wonderful for words!