Monday, October 12, 2009

I Sewed a Tote!

I can't really call myself a sewer (seamstress?) because I don't have much experience and I find it really hard to follow clothing patterns and directions, but you all know I love to sew on my cards right?! My new favorite tool for paper crafting. However, my girls are taking a 4-H sewing class which includes all aspects (crocheting, knitting, embroidery, sewing,etc.) and right now we're all learning to knit checkered slippers. It requires each of us to use 2 skeins of yarn and all we had to put them in were those plastic grocery bags in which our needles kept poking holes through them on our way to class. Soooo, I took the girls to town last weekend and let them pick out their own material and we set out to make our own totes. Many thanks to my BBFF Lisa who gave me the link to Nicole Heady's canvas tote tutorial, (and to Nicole for posting and sharing it with the world) we were able to make the perfect little carrying case for our sewing projects!
We made ours larger than her tutorial to fit our large needles. I believe she started with a 12.5" x 18" and we cut ours 18.5" x 24" and then of course those panels are folded in half to make a 12 x 18" bag. I made mine first just to be sure I could do it! Now I'm teaching the girls to make their own and they are so proud of themselves for sewing straight lines! :) I'll have to share those when they're done. Super cute with turtles and monkeys!

Before I go, I'll leave you with a picture of these miniature pototo people that the girls made with poatoes from our garden! :) Out of all the things we planted this year we got lots of big zucchini, beans, some baby boos (mini pumpkins) and tons of these tiny potatoes that were suppose to be large size. They had fun with them though :)
Now I gotta get started on my "Inky" project! Stay tuned... I'll share that with you very soon. :)
Hope your Monday has been a good one!!
Photobucket

15 comments:

Candace said...

Your tote is so pretty! The potatoes are cute, too! :)

craft_princess said...

LOL! Looks like potato fun! And the tote is GORGEOUS!!! I haven't used a sewing machine in about....10 years!!! Maybe I should break it out and make one of these fab totes? I am a little scared though...kind of rusty!

Sparkle said...

Your bag is gorgeous! I love the potatoes...reminds me of A Bug's Life.

Laurie said...

Kristine: I wanna come visit you for a week of ultimate craftiness! You are AMAZING! Seriously, I'm a true "bag" lady and your tote is sooooo cute! Good job! (Do you think I have enough exclamation points in this message? :) )

Patti said...

You did a great job on your tote!I'm sure the girls totes will be just as gorgeous!

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

OHGosh,Kristine, this tote is absolutely fabulous!!!! Are you sure you are not a seamstress? This tote looks perfect to me and the fabrics, well, they are stunning. Thanks for sharing this masterpiece. Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Linda B said...

I love your tote! Beautiful fabric:D

Kristen said...

Holy smokes..you say you can't sew, but girl, you definately can. Love the tote and the kids project is great.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a gorgeous tote Kristine. My address is....if you want to send it to me. Tee hee!! I really love the colors and design!! Sweet potato people your kids made.
hugs,
Chris

Chris (catt871) said...

You are so multi-talented!!!! LOVE the tote, it is gorgeous!!!! And those potato people are adorable!!!! Way to go girls!!!

Susan (susiestampalot) said...

look at you, sewing!! this looks super fantabulous!! i've wanted to make this bag ever since my friend joanne basile did it:
http://www.quiltsmart.com/khxc/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=fun_marketbag
it's a kit that you just fuse the pattern onto your fabric with and sew it up! easy peasy!! ok, enough playing for me...gotta get finished with my dirty dozen stuff!! eek! just wanted to say, "you, sew, girl!"

Helen said...

you did a great job! I love the fabric you chose!
Blessings!
~H

peggysue said...

That is one cute bag! And I had to laugh, if you say "I sewed a tote!" really fast it sounds like you have a head cold . . . okay, really random thought, but it made me laugh!

Lisa Hjulberg said...

Your tote turned out great! I love those yummy fall colors. ;) Being able to sew basics like this is such a wonderful thing for kids to learn... for anyone to learn! Oh for the good ole days when they taught Home Ec in school. At least you have 4H.

I can't wait to see how the slippers turn out. I've never been brave enough to crochet anything more than a blanket and a flower, much less learn to knit. Although I admire those who do knit. No, wait, I am NOT going to start another craft!!! LOL

And those little potato people are cracking me up! Maybe next year they'll be big enough to eat.

Love and hugs,
Lisa

BananaStamper said...

What a fabulous little tote Kristine! Funny, I've been thinking it would be so nice to pick out a fun material and try sewing a tote bag, especially since my friends and I are really into reusing bags and reducing the number of plastic bags we use. It looks like it is quilted - is it or is it the material you chose?
Cheers,
Shanna