Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Step It Up...with Your Cuttlebug!

Happy Tuesday!! I finally got a card done for Heidi's April Challenge, which was to use your cuttlebug to create an accent piece...instead of a background on your card! Great challenge, eh?? So, I decided to step it up a little and I created 2-tone cuttlebugged butterflies! It's really easy to do. I'll show you: (feel free to click on picture to enlarge)

  1. Pick a cuttlebug folder, a classic ink pad, and lighter shade of cardstock to use. I used Floral Fantasy with Tempting Turqoise ink, and Cool Caribbean cardstock (as well as Pink Passion and Pretty in Pink c.s.)
  2. Brayer on just one side of your folder. I inked up what would be the background so the flowers popped up are the lighter shade of cardstock. (see pic #2)
  3. Close your folder and run through the Cuttlebug/big shot or whatever machine you use =P
  4. Then I punched out my cardstock with a Marvy Butterfly punch that I bought at ... the Dollar Tree!!
  5. Go rinse off your cuttlebug folder under water real well so it doesn't stain :)

That's it!! I then punched out some solid butterflies out of the darker shade of cardstock and adhered the embossed b-flies with a rolled up glue dot just in the middle so that the wings could be "free." SO, you ready to go try it?!



**NOTE: Heidi's challenge does NOT have to include this technique, you just have to have a cuttlebugged accent instead of background. When you finish your card, please upload it on the PCP forum and put KLSNS04 in your key words/tags if you want a chance to win!! You have til the end of April.



---------------------------------------------------
Would you like to have a Guest spot on our Design Team?? Kelly's looking for someone to showcase each Thursday in May!!! Go check out the deets HERE.

18 comments:

Bunny Zoe's Crafts said...

Wow you did an awesome job with these butterflies Kristine, what a great technique, beautiful work as always, Big Hugs, Nikki x

Debbie Pamment said...

Oooh something new for this mad cuttlebugger to try - have put it on my "to do" list - thanx for the tute!!
xXx

de said...

Wow, what a great effect that has on your card! I would have never thought of doing something like that! Thanks for the idea! Beautiful card!

pinky said...

Beautiful card, thanks for the tips.
pinky

Diane said...

Oh wow! That's awesome! Thanks for the tutorial!

Helen said...

Great idea! It's so pretty, too! Another thing for me to try next time I get quality craft room time!
:)

Cindy Haffner said...

Amazing, i love those butterflies.

*Vicki* said...

How fun is this!! What a beautiful way to punch out butterflies!! Very clever! Thank for the how tos!!

"Kirby" (KrB) said...

Kristine, this is so pretty. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I'll be posting mine soon.

Seleise said...

super cute idea!!!

Heather P. said...

Oh wow, I LOVE this card! The colors are really eye catching. :)

Riet said...

what a gorgeous card Kristine,l love the colour.

Hugs riet.x

Ila said...

What a neat idea...love those Butterflies...and the finished card is Gorgeous!...Hugs, Ila

Deb said...

Fabulous card great technique!
Have a great evening, Debx

Sparkle said...

How fun! I love your butterflies!

Carolyn Bounds said...

WOW!!!! What a stunner!!! You have once again blown me away with your awesome talent!!! I am completely in love with this fabulous card!!! Evey detail is total perfection!!!! I love, love, love it:o)

Hugs!
Carolyn

Gina Wrona said...

OMG, Kristine, YOU ROCK! I can't wait to try this w/my cuttlebug. Great tutorial w/pics looks easy peasy to follow.
Thank you, thank you very much!
Hugs,
Gina

Lisa Hjulberg said...

I'd forgotten about the technique of inking your CB folder. Thanks for the reminder! But I never thought to punch out a shape. Great idea, Kristine, and very cute card!