Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sad News...Happy News!

I got some really sad news today. Some of you know I live in a very small town, but we do have a beautiful little scrapbooking store called Raining Fresh Daisies. I stopped in there today after work and when I got home, I had an email from them saying their doors will be closing next month! This makes me very sad as we do not even have a Michael's or JoAnne's here--we have to drive an hour one-way to get to one, and with kids in school and me working 2 PT jobs, I just don't get to go often enough.


Last week (actually on the same day), my sister and my dad both lost their jobs. My sister up in WA had worked for a house-cleaning company for 5 years, and then she and another gal broke away from the big company to start their own. They've been doing pretty well the last 2 years. But then the other lady hired her best friend (who had no experience) and with the economy, they just aren't getting enough work for the 3 of them, so she kept her best friend and fired my sister. Then, I found out last Wed. that my dad had been layed off last Monday as well. He lives here. He'll be okay though as mom's working 2 jobs and he can start drawing retirement in January. 3 of our major businesses layed off hundreds of workers this year. My husband's work is starting to feel it--he works in agriculture and many farmers are not purchasing the seed...afraid prices won't go back up.


Please join me in praying for our economy--I'm sure it's not just here, but all over. I do know that God is in control, and I try not to worry, but you know how that goes. Hope you and your families are doing well.


And now for some HAPPY news:
My girls love to play restaurant! So, Sunday after church they got on their aprons, made up some menus and had their dad and I "call in our reservations." It was so funny. Our 8 yr. old played hostess while the 9 yr. old "cooked" (kinda). They took the leaf out of our table and since they couldn't find flowers for the vase, they shoved a doily in it and it wasn't bad! They found these old valance and wrinkled up placemats and some silverware napkin holders that are about 15 years old and I forgot they were pushed clear to the back of the drawer! Their menu included items like:
corn dogs, mushrooms, soup, sour cream, flat bread sammies, left-over mashed potatoes/gravy, sunkist (orange) floats, milk or water, fruit salad which she cut up the apples and bananas with a butter knife. Needless to say, we had a very interesting lunch Sunday, LOL. Kids are so funny. OH YES, I forgot the "entertainment"...wish I could've gotten it on video for you. The chef came out with tap shoes on her hands a did a silly dance like a crab (?) Well, she was supposed to resemble a crab, LOL.


MORE Happy News!! Tomorrow I will be posting my blogiversary candy post!! Have you taken a guess yet as to who you think I'll be celebrating with? You have until 8 p.m. tonight! THen join me tomorrow morning for the announcement.

9 comments:

Catherine said...

oh Kristine, i'm so sorry to hear about your sister and your Dad. Loosing job is one the the scarriest thing to me and I hope things will go well for them. We all need to pray for what's going on.

And thanks for sharing your time with your daugthers over the weekend, tell them i'll go to their restaurant any day :)

de said...

So sorry to hear about your family's bad fortune. It's just crazy the way the economy is. I know so many people in the same position and even myself.. I've changed my spending habits to spend less and I have less money then I ever have. Its been dificult to make ends meet and those ends are just barely being met. I'm borderline in troule myself. Tho I am thankful for my job. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Marie said...

Finally getting to go on my blog-rounds and I'm so sorry to hear about your father and sister losing their jobs. I will keep them in my prayers that things will work out for them very quickly. As for what's happening tomorrow, gosh - I can't even imagine what it might be!?!?! ;)

Lee (LuvLee on SCS) said...

I'm so sorry Kristine......it sure has been a difficult time, hasn't it?? I'm sending lots of hugs and prayers!!!

And oh my how adorable!!! I remember when our kiddos were little and would do something similar every once in a while!! What special times!!!!

Bunny Zoe's Crafts said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Sister and Dad losing their jobs Kristine. This happened to Gary last year and he was out of work for nearly 6 months. I'll be thinking of them and hope everything goes ok and that your sister finds new employment soon. Our economy is not good also at the moment. I love the picture of the girls little restaurant and what great fun they must have had. Love and hugs, Nikki x

Rose Ann said...

Kristine...I am so sorry about your Dad and sister losing their jobs! The economy is so scary right now, and we have been praying about it daily.

Your daughters did a great job there!! How cute is that!?!?

Congratulations on your Blogiversary too!!

Seleise said...

wow - that's a lot to deal with all at once. Hang in there and hope they're able to find jobs. I love that you shared the lunch story too. Aren't kids a hoot? That's such a sweet moment!

Kelly - KL Stampin N Scrappin said...

So sorry to hear about your dad and sister's jobs. My husband and I went through similar down-sizing about 7 years ago now (right when we were building our home). I will gladly join you in prayer, as our economy just seems to be going downhill right now. Praying for a speedy recovery for us all.

Sounds like a very cool dinner to me. What fun the girls must have had. :) Kel

thestampspot said...

Kris, I am so sorry to hear of the troubles these times have brought your way. I think there is more to come and I truly hope people can remain positive through it. It is out of our hands, as you say.

But I am glad you ended the post with the story of your restuarant, brought a very big smile to my face, my Miss Six does this all the time, even with her pen behind her ear!

:) Marcia