Monday, October 27, 2008

Gone Hunting...Bad Timing

Well, hunting season is upon us. My husband and his friend just left this morning for a week of elk hunting/camping, so it's just the girls and I. My oldest daughter is turning 10 this Saturday, and it'll be the first time her dad will miss it. Or, maybe not. I got a call today (about an hour ago) from my BIL, telling me that my Father-in-Law passed away today. We talked about the possibility of this happening before he left, because they just moved him into an assisted living place on Friday. My hubby took the girls to see him yesterday--he wasn't doing too well. He said the day before yesterday that he's "suppose to die tomorrow" and mom asked him, why do say that? and he answered "he told me" and she said, "who told you, Jesus?" and he said "uh, huh." Anyway, my husband is one of 5 kids and they are all a close knit family, so they all came down this weekend. I tried calling my husband on his cell to tell him, but he's out of range. Mom said he doesn't have to hurry home, but I know he'll cut his trip short to be here for the rest of the family. So, I guess he'll be home for his DD's birthday and Dad's funeral.

His dad (Glen) was a WWII veteran. He got married and farmed for a living. He had 6 kids, but one was still-born. He had a good but hard life, living on very little money. They always went to church every Sunday and taught Christian values to the kids and they all ended up very respectable adults. He developed late-onset diabetes, suffered a couple strokes and had heart surgeries. About 5 years ago, he had to have both of his legs removed above the knee and was bound to a wheel chair, which was pretty hard on mom, also being in her late 70's. But she didn't want to put him in a "home." Their family is so close that each holiday, all the kids would come stay with them for a couple days, and each year around dad's birthday, even his 3 sisters would drive over (a 7 hr. trip)...they even made it over a few weeks ago!

Anytime someone we know dies, the first thing I think about is, "I wonder if he/she was a Christian?" Well, I am certain that his dad IS, and therefore, although we mourn because he's not with us, we know that we will see him again one day in Heaven. We love you, dad and will miss you.

Didn't mean for this to be so long. I also know that this doesn't even come close to a "respectable tribute" to dad, but wanted you to kindof get a glimpse of him. I am predicting that this week will be pretty full, so I might not get any card projects done. I don't even feel creative at all anyway. Well, gotta go pick up the girls soon and tell them about grandpa. Wish my better half was here.
{{Inky♥Hugs}}
Photobucket

18 comments:

Carol Doyle said...

Kristine, big hugs and prayers to you and your family. My thoughts are with you all.

Kathy said...

Kristine,
I'm so sorry about your FIL's passing. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Jami {sgtStamper} said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. How lucky that you all have such a wonderfully close family full of love and support. You will be in my prayers.
hugs, Jami

Lorie said...

Oh, Kristine...I'm so sorry! It is always so hard adjusting to a new life without our loved ones. I wish your entire family God's strength and peace as you go through this time. Lots of hugs and prayers to you all!

Ila said...

Hi Kristine, I'm so sorry to hear your sad news....He sounds like a Wonderful person...Take Care!..my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...Big Hug!!..Ila

LINANNA DESIGNS said...

Hello kristine I am so sorry to hear the sad news about your FIL, my thoughts are with you but it sounds as though you will have alot of comfort from your family, which is so lovely! hugs to you Linda x

Bunny Zoe's Crafts said...

Oh Kristine, I am so sorry to hear this news. Please know that your family is in my thoughts. Big Hugs and Love, Nikki x

Jukie said...

I just want to leave a message of condolence, he sounded like a lovely man from the impact he had on you and on those around you. Take heart in knowing you have wonderful memories to get you through.

Dani said...

Oh dear. I'm so very sorry for your loss. It sounds like you guys have a wonderful family. Big hugs!

Diane said...

Oh Kristine!I'm so sorry to hear this,you are all in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Gina Wrona said...

Kristine,

I'm sure it was very difficult for you to post this. I can only imagine how you felt and were probably crying as you typed. What a blessing to know ahead of time that your journey on earth to get back home to heaven is the very next day. Death is never easy and it affects all of us differently individually and as a whole family. Try to take comfort in knowing that he is back home with HIM.

Deepest Sympathy & prayers,
Gina

Deb said...

so sorry for your loss Kristine, I hope your DH manages to get back soon, hugs and thoughts

Trina said...

Oh Kristine, I'm so sorry to hear about your father-in-law.
I hope that your DH gets home soon.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Take care my friend,
Trina

Catherine said...

:( i'm so sorry to hear about your family. My family will be praying for you and your family at this difficult time.

Lee (LuvLee on SCS) said...

Hugs to you all Kristine!!! I'm so sorry to hear this!! And I know you'll raise your girls with wonderful memories of their Grandpa!!

Seleise said...

Hugs to you and your family, Kristine! I hope your hubby gets back soon to be with the family. I think your tribute is very nice. Blessings to all.

Rose Ann said...

I am so sorry, Kristine. It's good to know you will meet again when we are home. Hugs!!

Shanismom said...

You and your family are in my prayers... So sorry for your loss.