Saturday, June 14, 2008

Things I Wish I'd Been Told...

...about HAMSTERS!! ;)

Awww...they're cute little critters, aren't they?? As most of you know, we bought our girls hamsters (for M's 8th b-day). WELL... let me just tell you about their new "dig". It's Saturday morning, 7:30 a.m. and I'm up doing the usual, and wanting the kids to SLEEP IN. And what do the hamsters do? They fill their pouches up with food, crawl up to the wheel and start running. They either LOVE the sound of all the food rattling around, or they like the food smacking them in the butt every second!! Hmmm....

SO, with one hamster still in the wheel, I carefully tilt it so all the food goes to the center compartment and dump the food out. I put it back in place and she's like freaking out, "WHERE IS MY FOOD?" "WHERE'S MY LITTLE BUTT BOUNCERS?" I proceed to get my breakfast (after washing hands of course!) and 2 minutes later, she's back up in the wheel with all her food again!!
this has been going on for a few days now. But NOT ON A SATURDAY, PLEASE!! lol.
But I've gotta say, they are soo much fun to watch. We've never had hamsters before, but I figured, they're small, don't eat much, no problem! Well... I just HAD to get the purple & pink sparkly fun center for them (thinking my girls would LOVE that!.. which they do because they aren't the ones cleaning it at 9 p.m.!!) Yup, we started out thinking the girls would be in charge of everything having to do with these critters. Little did we know, just how hard this darn piece of plastic would be to clean after both hamsters got "wet tail" (diarhea) and stunk to high heaven!! Here's a picture of the cage:

It's hard to get apart because with it being plastic, it could break. Then what would do? The pet store is an hour away! Dad and I took it outside, dumped it, hosed it down, I filled about 4 buckets of hot soapy water and carried it outside and we got it cleaned up. What a pain that was. But, after all that...
Who can resist this face...

ME!!! I can!!! Can I take them back to the STORE NOW??? PLEEEAAASE!!!

The End.

(yes, we still have them...of course! I just explained what happened this morning, and like I said, the pet store is an hour away! No animals were harmed during the making of this blogisode. Thank you very much, and have a great weekend!)

1 comment:

de said...

LOL. Boy can I tell you about hamsters... like all the times they got out, stuck up inside chairs, crawled across my pillow at night that made me scream and wake my parents up (they were NOT happy). Oh the joys you have to look forward to... but you are right, they are tooooo cute!