Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Sad News...and good news

I was just told that my uncle was given 24 hrs. to live last night. :( My mom & dad flew there just a couple months ago and most of his family was there (his 5 sisters and his 2 daughters and their husbands). He has cancer, which has spread quickly, and he's had a hard time eating/drinking. His 3 yr. old granddaughter was there and her mom is pregnant again, so he wanted to try to live to see the new baby. But he just isn't eating and he's too weak for the hospital to put him on iv's. It's sad to lose him, but there's good news too. When my parents were there visiting, my dad had the opportunity to talk to him about Jesus. He grew up in a Christian home, but he really didn't know Him as his personal savior and wasn't sure he'd go to heaven. My dad prayed with him and he asked the Lord into his heart. I just found out about that too. Please pray for those family & friends who will miss him.

Edited to add:
He passed away yesterday morning (prolly before I even wrote this initial post). I know that he must be so happy to meet the Lord. It's those that are left behind that wish they had the rest of their life to enjoy him. The fact is that none of us know when it's our time to go. I work as a church secretary and we get a lot of people who come in or call needing food, clothing, help with housing etc. and our pastor gave this young couple a night's stay in a motel last week, and then he went and purchased a chicken basket and took it to them. He noticed a Bible on the bed and so he asked them about it. The lady said, "Oh, when I'm struggling with life and really needing help, I tend to turn to the Scriptures". Pastor asked her if she knew she was going to heaven and her answer was I'm sure very common..."Well, we are pretty good people and try to do the right thing most of the time, so I'm pretty sure we're going there." So, the pastor sat down and talked with the couple and showed them some verses and their eyes were opened and he prayed with them and they both accepted Jesus in their hearts right then and there. The Lord has a way of putting us in situations that give us the opportunity to share Christ with others...but we have to be willing and be looking for those opportunities. Is this turning into a sermon? lol. I don't mean for it to. I just wanted to share what's on my heart. Have a super day.

12 comments:

Tammy said...

I am soooo sorry to hear of your Uncle's declining health. His condition sounds just like our friends who passed recently..... So glad to hear he prayed, hopefully that can give some comfort to your family.

Tammy
SBS4

~KRISTY~ said...

HUGS,THOUGHTS & PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU & YOUR FAMILY KRISTINE.

Bunny Zoe's Crafts said...

Dear Kristine, I am so sorry to hear your news and write to let you know you and your family are in my thoughts. Love and Big Hugs from across the pond, Nikki x

Lorie said...

Oh, Kristine...I'm so sorry! Please know I'll pray for you. I'm happy to hear that he's received the promise of eternal life with Jesus in Heaven though. Lots of (((HUGS))) to you!

Kelly - KL Stampin N Scrappin said...

I am so sorry, Kristine, to hear the news about your uncle's health. Your story brought back sad and yet fond memories of my FIL who passed away last year. He also had cancer that spread rather quickly about 6 weeks after he was diagnosed he passed on, but he prayed with our interim pastor at the time, and that was such a relief for my DH. I hope your family finds that a blessing as well. He will have eternal life with our Savior in Heaven. God bless! Kelly

Donna said...

{{{hugs}}} Kristine! that's awful to hear but I am rejoicing he accepted Jesus as his savior. What a weight to be lifted (I know the feeling, my mom accepted Him less than a week before she died) it made things a little more bearable (that I would see her in Heaven) Your family will be in my thoughts & prayers. Love your new profile pic with the girls!

Kathy said...

Kristine,
I'm so sorry. Please know that I'll be thinking of you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I am soooo sorry to hear about your uncle. It is very hard to go through and it hurts so deeply. But the most important thing is that he accepts Jesus and will be in heaven with Him! Nothing can take away the hurt right now-but rest in the peace of knowing that he's got jesus!

Trina said...

Kristine,
I am so sorry to hear about your uncle. He seems like a great guy. Did you know that I got a Christmas card from him at Christmas time? It was beautiful and there was a letter in there that was very moving. (I think he sent a standard letter to everyone, but I thought that it was a very nice gesture, esp. since I've never met him) I will keep him and your family in my prayers.
Trina

Marcia said...

Kristine, my thoughts are with you through this time, thank you for sharing your story, it gives others strength.

Donna said...

{{hugs}} Kristine! What a wonderful witness your Pastor is a great opportunity he took hold of.

Shanismom said...

so sorry for your loss Kristine. you and your family are in my prayers.